Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the difference in rubber compound between the Barracuda 2.3" Airlight and MRC Medium? (tubed versions) I'm assuming the MRC is softer, but wonder how much softer. I've also heard the tubeless 2.3" MRC is available in 2 different compounds, if true what are they?
The Hutchinson site is rather vague, no clear specs on rubber duro/compound. These tires look promising, I'm just trying to figure out what to try. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Hutchinson does not use durometer in describing their rubber. The lower the rebound %, the "softer" the rubber. The Airlight rubber is a lighter weight compound (no rebound given).

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
shiggy said:
Hutchinson does not use durometer in describing their rubber. The lower the rebound %, the "softer" the rubber. The Airlight rubber is a lighter weight compound (no rebound given).
actually, my Reign X1 came with 2.3 MRC Barracudas, and IIR there is a duro stamp on the sidewall, around 50 but not 50 (48 or 52?). I will check tonight when I get home and post the exact number if you like.

BTW I weighed one of these tires at ~775g (they have kevlar bead).

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
That's on my Barracuda MRC Medium 2.3 Tubeless.

I don't know if/how the Shore A rating compares with durometer ratings of other brands like Maxxis for exemple. You can also have a UST Barracuda 2.3 with a less sticky, longer wearing, faster rolling, uglyer looking dual counpound rubber.

By the way, I really like mine. Grippier and meatier than my old Maxxis 2.35 High Roller UST but they roll faster. I currently have one on the front only but I will probably mount the rear one when spring comes by.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
That's on my Barracuda MRC Medium 2.3 Tubeless.

I don't know if/how the Shore A rating compares with durometer ratings of other brands like Maxxis for exemple. You can also have a UST Barracuda 2.3 with a less sticky, longer wearing, faster rolling, uglyer looking dual counpound rubber.

By the way, I really like mine. Grippier and meatier than my old Maxxis 2.35 High Roller UST but they roll faster. I currently have one on the front only but I will probably mount the rear one when spring comes by.
Yeah, my non-UST has the same label, "Shore A 48".

Interesting to hear they roll faster than High Rollers, not since they look quite similar, but the barracuda isn't ramped like the HR (but a bit shallower center tread I guess).

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
fsrxc said:
Yeah, my non-UST has the same label, "Shore A 48".

Interesting to hear they roll faster than High Rollers, not since they look quite similar, but the barracuda isn't ramped like the HR (but a bit shallower center tread I guess).
I was surprised too by how well they roll when I first mounted them. It could also be due to less distance between each knobs in the center of the tread compared with the HRs...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info, thanks for checking

The 48 duro seems soft to me, I had some Super Tacky HRs that were sloooow.
I just ordered a pair of the Barracuda Airlight 2.3s from PricePoint, $24.98 each.
Seemed like a good deal, I'll follow up once they arrive.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
rglsr said:
The 48 duro seems soft to me, I had some Super Tacky HRs that were sloooow.
I just ordered a pair of the Barracuda Airlight 2.3s from PricePoint, $24.98 each.
Seemed like a good deal, I'll follow up once they arrive.
The Cudas 2.3 MRC Medium roll faster than the Super Tacky HR 2.35 (slowest tires I ever had), I have both and to me, the Cudas win!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warning: Barracuda Airlights are very high durometer

The "deal" Barracuda 2.3 Airlights arrived, the rubber compound is very hard. (not good)
They feel like plastic, just about the hardest rubber I've felt on a mtb tire. they're going back. The MRC mediums must be the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.