Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bike Now, Beer Later
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Forum Folk,

So I did well on my taxes this year and the wife gave me the thumbs up on getting a new rig. I better hurry before she changes her mind. Anywho.... I'm looking to drop around $2600 on it. My LBS sells Scott, Yeti and Santa Cruz. I've been kinda perusing the Superlight29 R XC 29 w/ 32 Float CTD 120 and also the Scott Spark 750.

I live in WI, so no mountians, just the hills and bluffs of the SW region. I would say it fits into the XC catagory. I usually do one or two Cat2 WORS races a year just to get out on some tracks I don't usually hit.

I'm currently riding a '10 Stumpy FSR comp. Love the bike, but in retrospect would have probably go with the Epic if I could do it again. No dancing around it, I'm fat. 6' 245lbs, so that has to come into consideration.

Just looking for some input and/or thoughts.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
First off, I'm not sure getting a $2600 (or whatever) refund on your taxes is doing well. You realize that it's money you should have had last year, right? ;)

Second, I'd recommend getting a Tallboy over the Superlight. I've owned both and the Tallboy is simply a better bike in every way. Backcountry.com has them for $2599, right under your budget. Some of the components aren't as good as the SL R-XC build, but I personally think it's a better overall deal. Another option is to build something from the frame up, which would give you a much better set of components and the exact build you want.

Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy 2 D XC Complete Mountain Bike | Backcountry.com

·
Registered
339 Posts
As a fellow big guy (6-4, 230lbs), I wouldn't consider a Superlight, as that bike will be mighty flex-y under the load. Tallboy or Heckler would be the way to go (base model Heckler is $2,599).

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would go VPP over single pivot. There are a lot of used bikes to look at as well. I wish I'd waited and got an unloved TRc off ebay for 3500 instead of piecing together a bike, realizing I don't like the frame, then only having the budget for a blur 4x frame (which I do love) to replace the bandit.

Did I mention Im a VPP fan?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts