Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a friend in Georgia that is looking for a heavy AM/light FR bike. You know, what most of us (except Yetisurley) ride around a lot of the time. He can spend about $2000-$3000, which gets him into a pretty nice catagory. He really likes the Giant Reign X2, and while it doesn't have the best parts on it, it seems to be a good mix of a sturdy bike plus good suspension and not very expensive ($2200). Wondering if anyone locally here has any ideas or leads. As an example, Trek makes the Scratch series, which seems to be what he wants, nice sturdy bike with a FD, but the Scratch 7 is somewhere around $3700, and it's the cheapest one they make. Another example would be Specialized, who used to make the Enduro SX trail, but now they've split the Enduro models and made the regular Enduros lighter and less beefy, and they've made the SX trail heavier and more beefy, kind of leaving out the "middle ground" like they used to have before. An RFX would be a great type of bike, although there aren't many frames left, he needs a pre-built bike, and the frame can't be too expensive given how much he has to spend.

Ideas?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Jayem said:
Got a friend in Georgia that is looking for a heavy AM/light FR bike. You know, what most of us (except Yetisurley) ride around a lot of the time. He can spend about $2000-$3000, which gets him into a pretty nice catagory. He really likes the Giant Reign X2, and while it doesn't have the best parts on it, it seems to be a good mix of a sturdy bike plus good suspension and not very expensive ($2200). Wondering if anyone locally here has any ideas or leads. As an example, Trek makes the Scratch series, which seems to be what he wants, nice sturdy bike with a FD, but the Scratch 7 is somewhere around $3700, and it's the cheapest one they make. Another example would be Specialized, who used to make the Enduro SX trail, but now they've split the Enduro models and made the regular Enduros lighter and less beefy, and they've made the SX trail heavier and more beefy, kind of leaving out the "middle ground" like they used to have before. An RFX would be a great type of bike, although there aren't many frames left, he needs a pre-built bike, and the frame can't be too expensive given how much he has to spend.

Ideas?
Stupid question: what's the difference between AM and FR, and is cycling that refined now when there is a difference between the two?

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
AM is up and down... thus "all" mountain. Jack of all trades master of none.

FR is barely making the climb but hitting all the features on the way down. Much more burley, the geo is steeper than a DH rig and purpose built to take a beating.

If I could buy a new bike in this category, it would most certainly be the Reign SX. '10 model with all of the FR bits that are needed. The Reign X1 is nearly the same bike but with dual chainrings up front.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
cesslinger said:

FR is barely making the climb but hitting all the features on the way down. Much more burley, the geo is steeper than a DH rig and purpose built to take a beating.

If I could buy a new bike in this category, it would most certainly be the Reign SX. '10 model with all of the FR bits that are needed. The Reign X1 is nearly the same bike but with dual chainrings up front.
So, we have SS, FS, Rigid, XC, AM, FR, DH, 29er, 69er, TF, and HR. Ugh, my head is exploding....again!!!!!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
JrockFeltaz said:
what is TF and HR...?
They are brand new categories I just made up and in the process of applying for patents on. More details to come, but they are slacker than AM, lighter than XC, and burlier than SS. The next big rage, trust me.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
skinny-tire said:
They are brand new categories I just made up and in the process of applying for patents on. More details to come, but they are slacker than AM, lighter than XC, and burlier than SS. The next big rage, trust me.
Good laugh, now time for yard work. But I'm stuck on the front yard mower or the back yard mower. Walk behind or riding with either a 22 or 24 inch blade. Sad part is none of my mower options have a coffee holder.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
skinny-tire said:
Stupid question: what's the difference between AM and FR, and is cycling that refined now when there is a difference between the two?
Well, better would be "150-170mm all-around bike that can take a beating but still be ridden to the top of the hill". We have to make all these catagories though for the guys on light bikes that climb heavy bikes yet can't ride down the technical stuff. Otherwise we'd just call em "XC" bikes. :D

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cesslinger said:
FR is barely making the climb.
That describes my ride up BW Mountain no my freeride bike last Sunday perfectly. :thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cesslinger said:

I think the X1 starts to go outside his price range. He wants two rings I'm pretty sure, so the Reign X-series is the top contender right now.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wog131 said:
Yeti 575. He should be able to pick up a 2009 for less than 3k.
Too light, he's probably looking for something more along the lines of the Yeti 7. Something with a 36, Lyric/domain or 55 up front, rather than a Talas 140 or 150 or revelation.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Jayem said:
I think the X1 starts to go outside his price range. He wants two rings I'm pretty sure, so the Reign X-series is the top contender right now.
I have a Kona Coiler Deluxe. Not sure if it's considered AM or FR, but I put it together for around 2K. I really enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
build up a nomad. 3k can get a sweet ride off ebay, or get the specialized pitch. Mine was 1800. all the coin he saves can make for some sweet upgrades on a frame that I have yet to have any problems with for 2 years...knock knock...But I will be building a nomad someday.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
pwrtrainer said:
build up a nomad. 3k can get a sweet ride off ebay, or get the specialized pitch. Mine was 1800. all the coin he saves can make for some sweet upgrades on a frame that I have yet to have any problems with for 2 years...knock knock...But I will be building a nomad someday.

I second a Specialized Pitch. It will take a 160mm fork no problem. You can pick up 09's pretty cheap. I have been more than happy with it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
skinny-tire said:
I have a Kona Coiler Deluxe. Not sure if it's considered AM or FR, but I put it together for around 2K. I really enjoy it.
Yeah, I can't seen to find any deals on the Coilers. I think the coiler is exactly the kind of bike he'd like. The coiler is kind of like the first-generation Stinky.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JrockFeltaz said:
I second a Specialized Pitch. It will take a 160mm fork no problem. You can pick up 09's pretty cheap. I have been more than happy with it.
I'll look into it, I kinda skipped over em after being dissapointed with the other lines.

Edit: Looks a little low on the travel that he'd like. It could take a 160mm fork, but he says he wants to abuse the bike a bit more than I think a pitch will take.

·
Team Tortuga
247 Posts
How about a burly Nomad setup? He would have to find one used for the price range. My buddy rented a Nomad at All Mountain Cyclery and bombed it down the Bootleg Canyon DH trails all day. He said he really liked the feel of it set up as a FR/DH bike.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts