Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I looking for a good trail tire for my Intense Tracer 29". I ran Schwalbe Nobby Nics last year and though they were just okay. I just installed Maxxis Ardent 29 X 2.4 and think it might be overkill for trail riding. I want a good stable tire that rails corners but I also don't want to be pedaling a beast of a tire like the Ardent 2.4. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'm liking the performance version of the No Ni 2.25 run in reverse. The performance version has firmer edge tread than the EVO. I hate the Evo version. Too squirmy on the edges. The performance is just right IMHO.Good balance of speed , traction and price. I also like the racesport xking 2.4 on the front as a trail tire. The TK 2.2 has more traction than both the above but quite noticeably slower.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Is the ardent really a beast?

IMO, the Ardent pedals pretty darn well. Too me it feels about the same as a ground control 2.3, better than a captain 2.2, purg 2.4, rampage 2.35.

Sure the X-king does roll a bit faster and it is somewhat noticeable on gravel grinds. But for single track, the extra volume of the ardent is noticeable and definitely feels like rolling resistance is decreased over bumpy terrian. It also gives me extra confidence on the dowhill.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I have WTB Exiwolfs on my full suspension and Kenda Honey Badgers on my SS.
I like both tires just fine in my area (Pisgah).

Both roll well with good traction.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Ardent 2.25 rear works well. Running a Butcher front with Ardent rear now.

2.25 version is much less aggressive than 2.4

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the ardent really a beast?

IMO, the Ardent pedals pretty darn well. Too me it feels about the same as a ground control 2.3, better than a captain 2.2, purg 2.4, rampage 2.35.

Sure the X-king does roll a bit faster and it is somewhat noticeable on gravel grinds. But for single track, the extra volume of the ardent is noticeable and definitely feels like rolling resistance is decreased over bumpy terrian. It also gives me extra confidence on the dowhill.
I'll stick with the Ardent for a while and see how it goes. Have been on some really tame trails recently so will probably appreciate them in the rougher stuff

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ardent Race. Rolling Resistance is like an IKON but has tall knobbies for good trail XC traction.

·
@2whlfun
542 Posts
Loving my Butcher 2.4 X 29 front. Have an EXO Ikon 2.35 in back and while it climbs well it skids too easily even with ABP rear end and I know how to use front brake :)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'll stick with the Ardent for a while and see how it goes. Have been on some really tame trails recently so will probably appreciate them in the rougher stuff
Do some xc races and watch how the fast guys can handle 2.1 tires and you may start working backwards on your tire choice for a "trail" tire. IMHO anything over a 2.25 on a 29er for trail use is OTT. But that's coming from 26" bike roots. Some riders using 2.4's on 29ers jump to 650B for the reason the smaller wheel accelerates quicker and handles crisper. Hello! What about using a smaller tire on their 29er. They'll get simialr or better cornering traction on a 2.25 29er as a 2.4 650B .
I run 2.1 to 2.25 on 29er, 2.25 to 2.35 on 650B and heavy duty 2.4 on 26".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts