Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to dial in my suspension and changing only one setting at a time in OC on stereotypical "climb 3 miles fire road for .5 steep and tech downhill" has been very slow going. Any one have any suggestions in So Cal general area? Looking for:

* Short repeatable loop
* healthy mix of terrain- flow, turns, berms, unsupported vs. tech, steep, drops, jumps, rock gardens
* Close to car would be nice but not necessity

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah--probably Skypark or Big Bear when they open.
Where do you normally ride in OC? There are several trails that check most of your boxes, but probably not one trail for everything.
Yeah I thought about skypark, Bear is a really good idea, G - - - r as well. I ride everywhere in OC- the good ones would be Oaks, and Aliso but everything tends to be one way (people get annoyed when I'm hiking back up certain sections). It still tends to be too much climbing for one setting at a time, and different types of terrain are really far from each other.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Lynx/Aliso checks some boxes as does Laguna canyon. For a quick loop with some fun berms and a few jumps check out waterworks. Easy climb back up and fun downhill. But it is a short ride and not much tech.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Greer for sure....and per the head advocacy lead at Inland Valley MTB (IVMTB on FB), there is no worries about using the word Greer, The Nursery, Enduro 215 or any other name you want online on social media. In her words "everybody knows we're here, now its up to us to act responsibly". RIDE ON!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
el morro/crystal cove: Old Emerald for fast chatter, TNA for big hits
santiago oaks: yucca for high speed chatter, chutes/hawk for heavier hits/bottoms outs
aliso as mentioned

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
If you want to look at all of Socal then Elfin Forest in San Diego is by far the best place for suspension tuning, specifically Equine Incline Loop clockwise. Rough, fast, repeatable loop in about 30 minutes.

There you can tune everything from tire pressure to suspension settings and be ready to handle anything. Also a relatively quiet loop since it is not easy for hikers to get out there. It is about an 60 to 90 minutes for a hiker to make it on to the loop so it weeds out the casual people.

·
Registered
Digit Datum
347 Posts
Lynx/Cholla in Aliso is very short and thus good for repeatable loops when getting new shocks into the ballpark.
It doesn’t have much in the way of berms or flow that you really push into, but it’s enough to get ‘good confidence’ with a ShockWiz.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah just to give an update: I ended up doing a lot of laps on cholla/lynx in the beginning. Now the test loop is Lynx, 5 Oaks, then Rock-it as that's a pretty good litmus test of our local terrain. The other one was Hawk, Grasshopper, and Chutes. Those are all repeatable and represent chunky terrain that I'm a little bit faster on. The biggest thing was using a tuning device like shock wiz or sussmybike. I found that I just really couldn't tell what I was feeling and how to translate that to my settings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.