Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be staying with my friend in burbank the next couple of days, but he has to work so I am planning on riding a bit to pass the time during the day. The only bike I have with me is my 32x16 single speed Chameleon. Are there any trails in the area that are not bad for single speeding. I don't mind hiking a bit but I prefer being able to do some climbing on the bike. I have no knowledge of the trails in the areas so if anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
122 Posts
La Tuna Canyon is pretty good for that. Start up the Hostetler fire road, which startes on La Tuna canyon road near where it goes under the 210. When you get to a T intersection, go right for several miles until you see the La Tuna canyon singletrack drop off to the right, near a bench. The singletrack drops you back on La Tuna canyon road. Turn right and ride a mile or so back to your car.

·
GONE
27,470 Posts
Use the satellite image setting on Google Maps to look at an overview of the range North of Burbank. That range is the Verdugo Mtns. As already mentioned, La Tuna canyon (Hosteller fireroad) would be the smoothest climb to the top. La Tuna canyon is on the opposite side of the Verdugo mtn range from Burbank.

You can climb to the top from the Burbank side also, though. Use Google maps to see what I mean.

You are looking at a climb of up to 1500' over a 2-3 mile ride. Steep but not horrible.

The Verdugo Motorway is the road you will reach at the top from any way you go up. It travels most of the legnth of the range. Very scenic from up there on a clear day!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

I will check that out tomorrow. Is the climb up the road from the 210/tuna canyon intersection shown on google maps as verdugo motorway? I see what looks like several trails coming down off the mountains. I will look for the bench and hope for the best.

Thanks again,
Drew

·
GONE
27,470 Posts
special O said:
I will check that out tomorrow. Is the climb up the road from the 210/tuna canyon intersection shown on google maps as verdugo motorway? I see what looks like several trails coming down off the mountains. I will look for the bench and hope for the best.

Thanks again,
Drew
Yes, it is labeled as Verdugo Motorway going up but it is actually Hosteller. As you can see, park right where the 210 crosses La Tuna Canyon Rd. Up the pavement about a 1/4 mile. Veer right to stay on the pavement and up a steeper section. It turns into fireroad after that.
Travel almost 3 miles up to the top and enjoy the view of Burbank directly below and the beach off in the distance if it is clear out. Continue right (West) at the top where you intersect with Verdugo Motorway. Know that the singletrack is easy to miss. It is also loose in some areas and has at least one hike-a-bike section. For this reason, I have never cared for it.
I usually go up and back down La Tuna or up La Tuna, East on Verdugo Motorway and down Whiting Woods to complete a loop that I live within.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
66 Posts
From the Burbank side, you can go up Walnut to Stough Park which then connects in with the same fire roads mentioned in above posts. There is parking at Stough Park or if you are close enough you can ride up. I think there are ways to get up to the fire roads from Olive and Brand Park (Glendale) but am less familiar with those routes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.