Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
addict
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and didn't come up with much. I will be moving to Gold Beach from central Idaho for work. From searching I gather that there is good riding within a few hours travel from Gold beach. I am wondering about the general bike scene in the area, any trails close to town for after work rides, local bike club, bike friendliness of town, skatepark or dirt jumps, etc... I'm into all kinds of riding, don't own a road bike though. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have not ridden in Gold Beach but I do fish down there from time to time. The coast range is quite steep. There are logging/fire roads all over the place. I am sure there is some single track I have just never looked for it. There was a bike shop opening up in Gold Beach but I am not sure if they survived.

Better take up fishing to go along with your cycling!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Central Idaho? Are you coming from Hailey/Ketchum or Challis/Salmon? I'd be shocked if there's any kind of organized bike scene in Gold Beach. Prepare yourself for boredom. There is a nice bookstore/bakery in Gold Beach. Great fishing in town and near. There's a ride I've never done listed in the trail review section here at mtbr. Suppossedly good. I live in Coos Bay--a little over an hour from Gold Beach--and we have two decent trail systems to ride, but nothing special. I'm guessing the road out of Gold Beach towards Grant's Pass will have some riding, but the best of it might be 1.5 to 2 hours away. Oh, and check a ride called "Return of the Jedi" and see how far it is from Gold Beach.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Without a road bike, you're kinda' screwed. The coast, as lame as it is for Mt. biking, is a treasure for road biking.

·
addict
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be coming from McCall, great mtbiking, but the trails are under snow 8 months of the year. I guess I'll be doing some traveling on days off. I rode around the Coo's bay area about ten years ago, from what I remember, it was good. I'm hoping to find something close by to feed the addiction. Maybe a kite board setup will do the trick. How can a trail called "Return of the Jedi" not be sick, will definitely check that out. Thanks for the replies, hoping to find some other bike minded folks there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Time to broaden you horizens as well. As stated there are logging roads and other roads up in the hills. It only takes a determined biker or two or tree to start carving out some single track between logging roads. Ride up to a cell tower and bushwhack a trail back down. If there are a few fat tire fans in town you could defly carv out a decent trail.

Another thing to do is expand your activities. You can learn kite surfing and or windsurfing at Florras lake. Soon you can be in the bays and in due time carving up waves in the open ocean. Bring your bike and your boards and make sure you commit to trying something new. Take a windsurfing lesson at Florras and see if that don't light a fire deep down inside!

Welcome to Oregon, Ignore the weather and live the NW life!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
powderhound82 said:
I'll be coming from McCall, great mtbiking, but the trails are under snow 8 months of the year. I guess I'll be doing some traveling on days off. I rode around the Coo's bay area about ten years ago, from what I remember, it was good. I'm hoping to find something close by to feed the addiction. Maybe a kite board setup will do the trick. How can a trail called "Return of the Jedi" not be sick, will definitely check that out. Thanks for the replies, hoping to find some other bike minded folks there.
Well, one advantage you'll have is being able to ride year around. I do it. We occasionally get a few dry days in a row in winter, and I get out ride some of the quick drying trails. The trails around Coos Bay are shared use with atv/motorcycles, so the trails get ripped up worse than any bike could do them. Shy of standing water, I ride when I can. I come from Idaho as well, and misspent much of my youth in the Sun Valley area. If you want to see the trails around Coos Bay, just e-mail me when you get out here. I'd be glad to show you around. I don't ride very well, but I can show you the best of what we've got around here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't be fooled...there is plenty of singletrack around Gold Beach (1/2 to 1 hr away, typical distances for Oregon), for example the lower section of the Rouge and Illinois trail are both really good and open to bikes. In addition there are multiple trails off each. (Illinois trail only open from end of September to end of May). There are more trails but these are the best to start with and go from there.

·
addict
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't be fooled...there is plenty of singletrack around Gold Beach
Good to hear, I figured there was. Looking forward to some exploring.

If you want to see the trails around Coos Bay, just e-mail me when you get out here. I'd be glad to show you around. I don't ride very well, but I can show you the best of what we've got around here.
Thanks, will do. I actually have a while to figure it out, the job will not start for a few months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts