Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my never ending job search to move to a place with better mountain biking, I landed a tentative offer for a position in Montrose. I feel like I relate better to the majority of mountain bikers which is why I posted here to ask about general information about Montrose. I remember driving through Montrose last year to get to Telluride for the Yeti Tribe Gathering. However, Montrose didn't really stick to my memory banks.

A few questions.

First and foremost, how's the mountain biking? Specifically, trails local to Montrose. I'm looking at MTB Project at the trail systems and there doesn't seem to be any in town. A lot out in the foothills though. How long does it take to get to the trails from town(Montrose)? Can one go for a quick 1-2 hour ride after work on the weekdays without having to drive more than 30-45 mins to get to a trailhead? Do the trails do well after some rain or snow? Would it be better to drive Fruita or Telluride or Gunnison or Crested Butte to get rides in?

Demographics... What are the types of people that live in Montrose? Age groups, political affiliations, lifestyles, etc.

Traffic... How's the general traffic during rush hour times?

Amenities... Montrose is in the middle of nowhere it seems. What would be considered to be the closest 'major city'?

Cost of living... Is it anywhere near as bad as Denver's?

Weather... Does it snow half the year? Does it rain a bunch? Would MTB be considered a seasonal activity in Montrose?

Yes, I know I can look a lot of this up online myself(and I intend to), but I would like to hear from like-minded individuals.

Thanks!

·
Formerly of Kent
12,524 Posts
Buzzard Gulch is 7 miles outside of town. On roads with little traffic and decent speed limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Cost of living... Is it anywhere near as bad as Denver's?

Weather... Does it snow half the year? Does it rain a bunch? Would MTB be considered a seasonal activity in Montrose?

I'm in GJ, so..... As to COL, I'm pretty sure we and Montrose is alot less. Basically here in GJ you can mountain bike year round, probably the same as Montrose.

·
Registered
832 Posts
RAT trails are your most local. They are really pretty. I think they are really fun, but you might get bored of riding them over and over and over again. I personally wouldn't because you have access to so many trails with a 1-2 hour drive from there with a huge amount of variety. The RAT trails also do close down in the winter and stay closed even when the riding is good due to Elk Migration. I believe they open around the middle of April though. It gets pretty hot pretty quickly in the Spring. I don't believe it gets much snow at all from what I saw. Hell, even nearby Telluride hardly gets any snow most years.

I haven't ridden the other trails near that area, but obviously you are a quick drive to the San Juans that have the prettiest trails... in the US possibly. Fruita/GJC is nearby. Not far from Moab. Durango has awesome riding and the trails near Cortez are surprisingly fun.

It's my opinion that Montrose is one of the most well placed locations a mountain biker could live. Fruita/GJC is my #1 vote since so much riding is in the local area, but Montrose has so much nearby that is not a huge drive and way less crowded living.

Montrose is like almost all of the Western Slope in that it skews heavily towards conservative. The only real high paying jobs are in the oil and gas industry and healthcare. Oil and gas is collapsing, so if you buy now, I would expect to lose a lot on a house and the last collapse took much longer than the rest of the US to recover.

Delta is just south of Montrose and a total shithole and extremely conservative to the point that all my coworkers I used to have that were from Delta were the super in your face about politics types and surprisingly racist. It was actually a big factor in why I quit that job and ended up leaving Fruita for a place with the type of work I was looking for.

Fruita was my favorite place I have ever lived, but I would be really happy to be in Montrose as well. I like to be near ski resorts right now, but if I ever give that up, I would head straight to Fruita/GJC or Montrose.

·
Your bike sucks
2,219 Posts
Cue honkinunit...
Once he stops (bunkering?) sheltering in place, OP is going to get a lot of facts n figures.

Don't people also mtb in Peach Valley ? I go there for moto but I think Sidewinder and other trails draw mtbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is some more detailed info on the riding in Montrose. There is a lot here, more than just Buzzard. It is not very well known, but all of it is on Trailforks and Mtbproject. And FYI, the Yeti Tribe Gathering came to Montrose in 2016: https://www.yeticycles.com/feature/gatherings/2016-montrose

- Buzzard Gulch: 12 mile singletrack trail system about 10 minutes from town. Plans are in the works for an additional 6-7 miles of trail here. Easy to get a 60-90 minute after work ride. Rideable typically february to november.

- Peach Valley/Sidewinder: motorized trails within 10-20 minutes of town. Sidewinder runs from Delta to Montrose and is an advanced technical trail. The other trails at Peach Valley are so-so for mtb, alot are too steep and not bike friendly. Rideable feb to november, hot in summer.

- Dry Creek (Coyote Loop, Piney Creek, Fingers,etc): A little farther out of town, maybe 20-30 minutes. Motorized trail system with some very good routes for mtb. I ride here alot and it seems only Montrose residents know about these trails? There are no good published maps, but it is on mtbproject and trailforks. I can do rides from 90min to 4 hours here. Rideable feb/march through november/dec.

- Spring Canyon and the Uncompahgre Plateau: This is where the Yeti Tribe did their rides. There are several good trails in the National Forest and BLM here including the Whole Uncolada shuttle ride. Elevations up to 10k here so good in the summer.

- Cerro Summit: City park ~15 east of town. About 6 miles of nomotorized singletrack here, with the City making improvements and some additions this year. Not alot here, but you can get in a couple laps and it is at 8,000ft so is cool when everything else in town is hot. Great for after work or for a shorter ride.

- Electric Hills: a new 20 mile nonmotorized trail system about 15 minutes out of town will be constructed in the next 2 years. This is about 5 minutes from Buzzard Gulch. This will be a great addition!

- More to come: the Montrose-Uncompahgre Trails (MUT) Chapter of COPMOBA is hard at work and has more trails in store for the area.
Check out https://www.copmoba.org/montrose/

I can reliably mtb in Montrose from sometime in february until the end of november. We get some snow but not alot. I know people who road ride through the winter with a few weeks off. BTW, if you road ride or do gravel there is a ton of great riding here and in Delta County.

Overall there is a good amount of quality mtb in Montrose, and like others have said there are so many great places accessible within a traffic-free 3 hr drive (Salida, Durango, Dolores/Cortez, Gunnison/CB, Telluride, GJ/Fruita, Moab). I love the access to the desert, San Juans and West Elks, just so many places to go on the weekends its hard to fit it all in sometimes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
And to quickly answer some of your other questions...

- Demographics.
70% white, 30% hispanic. I don't know actual stats but there are alot of retirees, esp from Front Range and CA. What there are not alot of is single people in the 20s-30s. In general Montrose is poorer than the rest of CO (looking at percent of kids on free lunch, household income, etc). Wages are lower here, but COL is less.
The biggest industries are health care and construction (montrose builds telluride).

- Traffic... How's the general traffic during rush hour times?
None. There are more cars on the road at rush hour but you get through with one light change. I have a 7 minute commute and live on 4 acres outside city limits.

- Amenities... Montrose is in the middle of nowhere it seems. What would be considered to be the closest 'major city'?
GJ is 1 hr away, other than that Denver is a 5hr drive or a 45 min flight.
Montrose has a Walmart, Target, JCPenny, Home Depot, Murdoch's, Petco, City Market, Safeway and natural Grocer's.
We have 3 breweries and a distillery.
Medical is strong with 75 bed hospital, most medical specialties and a cancer center.
Montrose has fiber internet.
We have the biggest and newest Recreation Center on the western slope
Airport: due to Telluride we have direct flights (or did before corona) to Denver, SLC, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, Newark. Some of these are seasonal only but our airport is pretty good for our size.

- Cost of living... Is it anywhere near as bad as Denver's?
Nope, but housing is a more than you would think. There is a housing shortage and things sell fast and inventory is low. There are alot of people selling their homes on the front range and buying here. Finding anything good under $250k is hard. But for $300-375 you can get alot.

·
Registered
832 Posts
One thing I would add is that hopefully you can check out the area before making a decision. The Western Slope is my favorite place I have ever lived and I have lived in a ton of locations across the US, but the reaction I usually get talking to people about these places when I mention how much I love them "that place is a total shithole." Even people that share my same interest often tell me how much of a shithole the area is.

I am all about outdoors stuff. Biking, hiking, backpacking, paddle boarding and the Western Slope is just full of all that and centered around a variety of places that offer even more of it, but lots of people just see lethargic towns that don't have enough to do within the town and of course most people depend on the job that brought them there like me. Once you step away from that job or lose it, you'll often struggle to find your way back to the money you were used to making.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys... Thanks for the info! The word from the horse's mouth is worth a lot more than a generic overview that I've found on Google. This would be a position with the Federal Govt so these things can take literal months. Right now, I'm weighing my options and if it's even a smart idea to move during this time. But Montrose seems super low key, which would be a nice change of pace from KC(which surprisingly has great mountain biking as well).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just curious, what'll you be doing with the Feds in Montrose? I've seen a few positions there recently... just wondering which one you got.

Hope it works out for you - I have a few buddies that live over there and they really do like it, although they're not riders.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, if you are in KC and move to Montrose and mtn biking is your main concern and you have never been out that way before, you'll need to wear two diapers and have a vomit bucket on hand as you **** yourself and vomit at the same time from how badass the mountain biking is. Unless you are into going to clubs, cultural centers, or can't wait for items you buy to be shipped a few days, you will be amazed with Montrose.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just curious, what'll you be doing with the Feds in Montrose? I've seen a few positions there recently... just wondering which one you got.

Hope it works out for you - I have a few buddies that live over there and they really do like it, although they're not riders.
It's a telecom position with the BLM. Sounds like a pretty cool gig. Lots of going out in to the wilderness to do things with repeaters, radios, and antennas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's a telecom position with the BLM. Sounds like a pretty cool gig. Lots of going out in to the wilderness to do things with repeaters, radios, and antennas.
Sweet! I almost applied for that one... glad to see it's going to somebody who's gonna enjoy the area! Good luck!

I work for the Feds also - over on the Front Range. I'm waiting/hoping for a different gig to open up, and I might make a move, too.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet! I almost applied for that one... glad to see it's going to somebody who's gonna enjoy the area! Good luck!

I work for the Feds also - over on the Front Range. I'm waiting/hoping for a different gig to open up, and I might make a move, too.
Thanks! I saw a posting for Fort Collins recently but it appeared to be have very specific specialized skills. So specific that I definitely would not get referred unless I lied in the questionnaire. I’ve been trying to get in to the feds for the past 6 months or so. But I’m waiting to see how the country is in about 2-4 weeks. Like what if there’s a 2nd wave from Covid. It sucks not being able to just make a decision and stick with it. But we are living in strange times. Gotta know when to make a move. Gotta know when to stay put. And gotta be flexible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some people try to get into the Feds for a helluva lot longer than that... hell, it even took me a couple years before I got on, plus, it took six months to hire me. They thrive on paperwork. But, that's a different conversation.

You may not know this, and the BLM/DOI might not disclose this, but you can accept the job and request to delay your start date. I work for the BOR (also part of the DOI), and one of the guys we hired a while back delayed his start date something like 90 days. Information like that could help you make the decision - it sounds like you're doing the right kind of thinking, anyway, and thanks for that.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh here's a question I just thought of. Is Uber and Lyft a thing in Montrose? Hell, are taxis? This position may require travel and getting a ride to and from the airport is something important to think about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh here's a question I just thought of. Is Uber and Lyft a thing in Montrose? Hell, are taxis? This position may require travel and getting a ride to and from the airport is something important to think about.
No Lyft, there are one or two Ubers but I wouldn't count on it being available. No taxi service, and the limo shuttles only go to telluride. Most will leave their car at the airport and pay for parking or get a ride with someone. The airport is so close it isn't a big ask to get someone to drive you.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No Lyft, there are one or two Ubers but I wouldn't count on it being available. No taxi service, and the limo shuttles only go to telluride. Most will leave their car at the airport and pay for parking or get a ride with someone. The airport is so close it isn't a big ask to get someone to drive you.
Thanks. It's a small town so I don't think this will be too big an issue.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts