Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
e-Bay seller in Italy

Contact e-Bay seller clood69 in Italy. He puts them up (other colors as well) for sale fairly frequently. There's 1 set listed right now. I wanted a set for a recent build, but none were available at the time, so I never bought from him. I can't comment on his reliability/ethics, etc. Other buyers seem to have had great success though.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
I have x2's and can say that they are great in the right application. For XC? YES. For AM or more? NO.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I've got those formulas. Super light, stop great, good modulation etc. Pad clearance is very very low, so it seems the pads are always hitting the rotor at least a little. Putting in new pads makes it worse. The LBS can make it slightly better, but not perfect. It's more of an annoyance than something that actually affects the ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i just installed a formula 1 break set (levers say formula 1 on them however the calipers it says RX). they are squeaky and they seem to lack power compared to my shimano xt deore.

i will have my LBS take a closer look at it.

any suggestions on the squeak and power?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If they are absolutely brand new then you'll need to bed the pads into the rotors, and also bed the rotors in themselves. This usually takes the best part of 1 ride.

The squeak sounds like a misaligned pad/rotor. It also could be that during bed-in that too much heat was generated and the pads could be glazed.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
To the OP:

As bt still hasn't been bothered to explain his 'mythical' bad experience of R1's, I'll share some of my experience:

Got my first set about 2 years ago. Had come off Hope mono mini X2 (nice modulation but poor overall power) Avid Elixir varieties (good power for the ones I had, but much heavier) & new XX brakes (not up to elixir power, but light as R1)

The R1's were straightaway VERY powerful. I bought some Ashima rotors with not much rotor material to try and tame the power, and went 4" on the rear too.
They have tight tolerance thats for sure. I got some white powdercoated ones, where they had gone overboard on the coat thickness. I had to sand them down a bit to get the rotor to not rub the mounting arms. They also struggle with the rivets on 2-piece rotors like Hope.
Once I got them setup, which was not that bad a job really, they quickly became set and forget. They seem to avoid the sticky piston issues I have found with XTR and some elixirs. If the pistons do end up too far out, then they retract quite readily.

Those brakes are still on my #1 race dually, and have travelled overseas 3 times for various events I've done. Ive never yet had a lightweight part last so long, and be just as good as it was when first installed. I've bought a second pair which is about to get installed on the 29er hardtail I'm about to build up.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm not sure what your idea of a forum is, but for must of us it is the exchange of opinions, information and technical know-how.

You fail on all counts.

Either contribute to the threads you post in or bugger off

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.