Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have an XCE set up All Mountain and thinking of building a DH Bike to compliment the stable. Used DHRs are a bargin if you look hard enough. What are the improvements on DHRs year over year (01, 02, 03, 04, & 05)?

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Cucucachu said:
Currently have an XCE set up All Mountain and thinking of building a DH Bike to compliment the stable. Used DHRs are a bargin if you look hard enough. What are the improvements on DHRs year over year (01, 02, 03, 04, & 05)?
00-02 frames are 7.5" travel, QR rear and have the same geometry numbers. The older ones 00-01 (I think) had bolt on shock mounts on the frame and the 02 frames were one piece welded mounts (I may have those mixed up, I don't remember)........the bolt on ones cracked apparently.

The 03-current DHRs have 8.5" travel and the same geo and a 1.5" headtube. The 03's were a unique frame design (only that year). You can use any shock on them with a piggyback but the main pivot areas were known to develop stress cracks and there was a bad run of thinner swing links that broke.....that was fixed in later runs that year though. Both of these issues happened to me with my 03 frame. The 04 to current bikes have the square tubing and limited shock options in that there's no room for a piggy back, hence the romic shocks and remote resivoir DHX shocks. They changed the frame end shock mount for the 05s for some reason and I know of two people who have had them crack there. I've got an 04 front triangle I've been on for two years with no issues. I think the best option in my opinion would therefore be to try to find an 04 frame with the DHX remote that was available aftermarket from turner for a while or one with an avalanche on it. The romics aren't bad shocks but there are better ones available. I managed to track down an old fox vanilla dh that has a remote reservoir and I love it, but they're hard to find.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If I remember all the models correctly it went something like this:

The '00 - '02 models where very similar. They used 2.5" stroke shock for 7.5" of travel. They had very low BBs (14.0") and a bit steep for pure DH HA (67.5). I believe the only changes were small improvements to linkage pieces, for better durability. If you can live with the low BB the steeper HA will be very good for FR. These bikes used the very reliable Fox RC shock.

For '03 the DHR was a new bike. The linkage was flipped over, but they kept the twin top tube arrangement. The '03 received a 3.0" stroke shock and gets 8.5" of travel. The BB was raised about 1/2" and the HA was slackened to 67 (w/ 7" fork).

For '04 the DHR stayed the same except they dropped the round double top tube for square single tubes throughout the entire bike. Both the '03 and '04 used the not as reliable Romic shock.

For '05 and seemingly '06 the DHR is the same frame as the '04, but has been upgraded to a remote reservoir Fox DHX shock.

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very serendipitous! It sounds like a used '03 is what I'm looking for. Although you pointed out some weaknesses with the pivot areas and swing links, I won't be putting the bike through the same torture as DH Racers. The '03 has the right sweet spot (price to features point). It sounds like a new enough frame to accept a Marzocchi 888, a DHX Coil w/piggy back, and components like Saint yet old enough to be around the $1K mark.

I'm an older fart, who wants something to ride when I travel to resorts with lifts [like Whister]. I'll continue to ride the XCE in Pisgah and other places, where I need to earn the downhill.

Thank You

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
If you do get an 03, make sure you've got the newer links. The old ones are just thin and flat. The newer ones have a recessed hole for the shock bolt. You can get them from turner if not.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
oly said:
Only untill the new ride shows up.... [hint] Im on the list, and I will still be able to post here.....[/hint] :)
You're gonna get brake skwaht and you're not going to have any fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.