Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Im pretty new to riding and I am looking for a decent head light which can help me see a bit of my path ahead of me. I am pretty stoked b/c my gf is getting me those crazy fossil low down lights for my birthday and I gotta say i could never afford neons on a car, so pimpin out my mtb seems like a lot of fun to me. Anyways are there any decent headlights (or helmet lights whatever they would be called) for about 100-150?

·
Registered
161 Posts
2 x P7

Hi 2hottay,

One P7 with batteries and charger will come in well under your budget....If you want to spend just a little more....Two of the P7 5 mode torches from DX (SKU 12060) with extra batteries, would be a package that will blow most if not all of the commercially available rechargable lightsets out of the water for light output and value! :thumbsup:

Have a look at the following thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=398591

For the ultimate battery-less lightset you may be able to build up a killer dynamo system, with your budget. Check out http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=413443

If your after a commercial system have a look at the Niterider advert above...could be OK?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't read over the articles in the links yet, just skimmed them, but I will be viewing them tomorrow. Quick question (after my skimming) do I buy the molds or body's of a different light and just place these lights in place of the ones they come with (and I also assume I must change some wiring and such) Thanks for the help, sorry but electronics are not my ballpark so it may take a few more questions for me to get this lol. It looks fun to learn though and I'm def going to take a stab at it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
2hottay said:
I haven't read over the articles in the links yet, just skimmed them, but I will be viewing them tomorrow. Quick question (after my skimming) do I buy the molds or body's of a different light and just place these lights in place of the ones they come with (and I also assume I must change some wiring and such) Thanks for the help, sorry but electronics are not my ballpark so it may take a few more questions for me to get this lol. It looks fun to learn though and I'm def going to take a stab at it!
You can mount the P7 torch directly to your helmet/stem or both quiet easily.....a livestrong type arm band works well on the helmet and I can reccomend the bike light mounts from DX for the stem.:cool:

The P7 is a great option for a newby....for anyone, really!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Dazzat3, I'm not the only person recommending cheap DX torches and batterys.

I've been running entirely on them for nearly 12months :-

Started off with 2 Cree P4 100lumens, both need to be on for good performance.
Then got 2 C2's 45min run time, but 150lumens both on kicks ass but the switches died so back to above :( ( $40 down, no biggy )
Just bought 250lumen R2 drop ins AMAZING output, but 40min run time.

Just ordered P7 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13336 @400lumens on Medium power for estimate 90mins, with @800 Lumens on tap for DH sections :)

$97 all in with 6 batterys so 9hour run time and smart charger :)

Will use the R2 to further boost the P7 for DH sections and good to always have 2 lights incase the batterys trip out!!

Attaching, Bars and Helmet i just use sliced up old inner tube.

G

·
2hottay said:
Howdy all,

Im pretty new to riding and I am looking for a decent head light which can help me see a bit of my path ahead of me. I am pretty stoked b/c my gf is getting me those crazy fossil low down lights for my birthday and I gotta say i could never afford neons on a car, so pimpin out my mtb seems like a lot of fun to me. Anyways are there any decent headlights (or helmet lights whatever they would be called) for about 100-150?
2hottay
Sorry but I have to ask, What on Earth are crazy fossil low down lights, am I out of touch?

·
What It Be ?
890 Posts
Lighs and Motion Stella 180L or 100$ you can have the N. Think they start at 200$. Been using mine for about a year now. 24 Hours of Big Bear and a local 12 hour no issues. LONG burn time with the LEDs. Thats what gets my vote.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.