Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting on a pair of roval carbon wheels for about a year. I am a specialized fan and thought I would stick with their house brand. However I am tired of waiting.

What are you guys using for carbon mountain bike trail wheelset? At the high price point I am looking to get something that has a good warranty. I don’t beat on rims but stuff happens and I want a rock solid warranty from a company that will be around.

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,438 Posts
We Are One has a great warranty. They stand behind their product. Zero BS. I have not heard of even a single person not happy with We Are One, their products, or their service and support, including their warranty.

They just rebuilt an older wheelset for me for next to nothing (not a warranty claim).

As an added bonus, you can install tires tubeless on their rims with a regular floor pump. The bead gets 90% seated almost magically with your hand. People who own them know what I am talking about.

Interested to see if anyone can suggest another company with a better warranty. I doubt it.

From their site:

Lifetime Warranty

…If you break a rim while riding, we send you a new one. Period. It is that simple.

NO rim replacement cost (shipping will be charged).

NO hidden fine-print.

Lifetime Support.

There is no reason to be concerned about what happens anymore. Ride the industry's best carbon rims and we have your back if you break one.

Plain and simple.

Please note that due to some people taking "NO questions asked" to the extreme: Our warranty does not cover vehicular incidents, vehicular accidents, or vehicular stupidity. We cover all accidents that occur while riding your bike. UPDATE Dec.15 2020 If your bike, wheels, or rims are stolen we will not consider that a warranty replacement.....yes someone tried this!

We feel that our warranty is offered for those "oops" riding incidents. If you do, however, manage to make a mistake out there in the big world and it is not while riding, let us know your story, we can be more than fair if the story is good enough to warrant it. If not we will offer a 50% crash replacement and call it fair.

Warranty covers original owners only. We do offer second-hand owners a 50% crash replacement.

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
920 Posts
Santa Cruz Reserves, lifetime warranty for the original owner. You can get other carbon wheels cheaper... but you won't get the same level of support.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at their site and there were just so many choices I didn’t know which would be best for me:

I am 6’5” and currently weigh 235 without gear.
I ride mostly trail but also do some downhill riding at various ski resorts.
I am 50 years old so while I do small jumps and drops, you wont be seeing me on Red Bull TV
I ride a Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
The SC Reserve wheels ride pretty harshly. I assume they felt that way since they are pretty overbuilt. I really like the Ibis wheels and I hear that the Revel wheels feel as good. I do like Knight Composites which I used for several years and NOBL wheels feel really good on the trail too. I have not used NOX wheels in the last year but I like those too. ENVE- I found them also too harsh in the past but have not used their latest rims.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I second We Are One. Great warranty, great rims, and there are typically discount codes floating around if you need an incentive.

I've had several rim strikes and even rode with a flat for a few miles and the rims are still true, no problems.

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,438 Posts
They were great and responded to my questions right away.

Now to find a discount code!!
The discount codes are often revealed on podcasts. I am sure someone will chime in.

If you were speaking to WAO, did you ask them about a discount? Those guys are all very accessible and super patient if you want to call them. They are all riders. They love to talk biking. Dustin Adams, owner, is a former DH Giant factory rider.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting.

I assume the unions would be the choice??
I have a set of 28h union rims and I9 hubs I had built by Daves wheels (ordered rims from WA1, but build time for complete wheel set was a long time compare to just buying the rims). So far they have been solid after a few good rock strikes at speed (25mph). I weigh 230 geared up.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts