Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a bike to ride to work (6 miles, roads, some hills) and on trails (fairly smooth). Must be in a mostly upright position (low back issues). Have tried multiple and am leaning toward TREK 7100 or 7200. Here is a comparison of them:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/compare/#/7100,7200,empty

- There are differences in a few components, and I don't know enough if the 7200's justify the additional cost - or if I need the step up.

My other debate is on where to buy. I have it narrowed down to Bicycle Village (which discounts their prices) or a locally owned (with two locations - Trek Bicycle Store and Cutting Edge Sports) bike shop. The local shop offers 15% off merchandise purchased the day the bike is purchased. Warranties and perks across stores are similar. The locally owned shop is also closer to home (and work).

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
If you could expand you search to include your local REI I think you would find some better value. REI currently has several of their urban-commuter hybrid bikes on sale. The REI Buzz at $499 I think is probably a pretty good deal. In the hybrid-urban commuter market the REI is going to be tough to beat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tire size, suspension

The Buzz looks sharp, but the 26 " wheels vs. the 700...I thought the 700 might be better for my needs? Also, I've been told a suspension seat and fork might be good to have, considering my back. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The Buzz was made to be a little more bullet proof than the two Trek bikes and it has disc brakes and upgraded components but you lose the suspension seatpost and fork. Its a bit more of an urban warrior and less of a commuter. The 26 inch wheels are less likely to get bent going off curbs and the spokes less likely to brake.

The Trek Bikes will be decent but probably not as great a curb jumping bike as the Buzz even with the suspension fork and seat post. Of the two bikes I would lean towards the 7200 with the 24 speed drive train. For the Urban-Hybrid bikes I like REI. They have a couple of Marins on sale also but they are more money. The Marin San Anselmo has the suspension seat post and fork for $589 plus it has a pretty decent WTB seat. I am a little biased towards REI on these kind of bikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts