Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to escape. The Canada border has been lifted, This crowd should be enlighting.
I am traveling from SF Bay Area. So I will be renting a bike.
I am just a Cross country guy. I am very slow. so, not looking for epic jumps.
Please share your ideas for three hour rides. Thank you!
I am so slow. but the Canada landscape is so appealing
Looking forward to your 2 day ride recommendations

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bring your fireproof clothes, the west is burning. You may be OK in SF, seems like the wind is pushing all of the smoke to the east.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
As mentioned, Western Canada, notably BC is having a very bad fire season. We are seeing conditions now that are normally reserved for mid to late August, and its not expected to improve anytime in the near future. Smoke conditions are currently variable dependent on local weather patterns, but I suspect within the next week most of the province and beyond will be experiencing consistent poor to bad air quality until cooler weather and rain comes (which realistically may not be until September for many parts of BC).

I can't recommend travel until we see a major change. 1) You can't really see the Canadian landscape through the smoke and 2) It's sucks to try to ride in the smoke when conditions are bad.

While the smoke is blowing east, it will never be even as remotely bad in that part of Canada as it is in the west. I'd suggest if you are really looking for a trip to Canada, I'd consider the area around Quebec city. Quite a variety of trails, beautiful scenery as well, easy options to rent bikes and of course, culturally Quebec City is interesting from a tourist perspective.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. What a bummer for the Canadian residents. NorCal has it's share of fires currently as well. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
mtnbkrmike...as rlee eluded to, I'd love to have that air quality.....anyone in the interior of BC would. My visibility this morning is less than 200m.

I'm heading to the coast for 3 weeks in a few days to ride around Vancouver, Squamish and Whistler. Hoping it stay reasonable, and even hope for a few nice and clear days to get epic views riding things like top of the world and lord of the squirrels. But in reality it will be amazing regardless compared to the interior.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

This is the view from Rossland. I was out walking with an n95 on Saturday. Normally from here you get a great view of the Columbia river valley and the Selkirk mountains. You can almost see a hump that is about 500m away.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,974 Posts
Heading out to Canmore to squeeze a blast in before the MUCH NEEDED rain hits later today. Then, back to sun and 30c tomorrow and the rest of the week. I will snap a few pics when I get out there and post them when I get back.

Mid ride:

Bicycle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,974 Posts
mtnbkrmike...as rlee eluded to, I'd love to have that air quality.....anyone in the interior of BC would. My visibility this morning is less than 200m.

I'm heading to the coast for 3 weeks in a few days to ride around Vancouver, Squamish and Whistler. Hoping it stay reasonable, and even hope for a few nice and clear days to get epic views riding things like top of the world and lord of the squirrels. But in reality it will be amazing regardless compared to the interior.
Safe travels. And yes - it will be amazing regardless. Have a blast.

I hope to get out to Cumberland and then Squamish/Whistler and Revy in the not so distant future. Then again, I am thoroughly enjoying the terrain right here at the moment. We are all very fortunate to live where we do.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was riding Revy yesterday it was a little better but the smoke condition can change from tolerable to sickening within a hour.
If coming to B.C, check the conditions and restrictions. We do not have any outdoor bans yet but i suspect like previous years they are coming. When fire season gets unmanageable the Gov will ban all wilderness activity, including hiking and mtb. If memory serves me correct this is a regional restriction not province wide and I cannot remember if it includes ski hills.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
As mentioned pretty touch and go here at the moment.

If we get a lot of rain: Go to revelstoke

For XC trails in my opinion the Mt. Macpherson trails in Revelstoke are the best place to ride an XC bike on the planet. Bold statement I know. But I am pretty well travelled and spend a lot of time riding an XC bike.

From Revelstoke you are pretty close to a couple of other good rides/riding areas. To the west you have the Larchhills traverse (Salmon Arm to Sicamous). It is a 40km point to point trails that snakes through some old cut blocks and deep forest. To east you have Golden, which has a really good trail XC trail system.

If it stays dry: Go to the island. Cumberland has a great XC system and is a really cool town. You would have great time riding there.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,974 Posts
Hit an old school classic today. Ordinarily, incredible views but today, unfortunately, the smoke was still a bit of an issue. It was a tad overcast too.

Epic ride nonetheless, up high above 7200 feet.

Bicycle Tire Cloud Wheel Sky
Bicycle Wheel Tire Cloud Sky

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANK EACH OF YOU for providing insite into options for a trip up north!! I appreciate your suggestions and insight. I am not planning ignoring any regional restrictions – so planning ahead for a clear invitation from CA to visit. I still need to get in shape for your hardcore trails so again, I am not rushing. but the top of my list !!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It is smoke free and open for visitors in BC right now. There has been enough rain to make the trails perfect. Now is the time to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts