992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Can't speak first-person on this but that synchro series by osprey looks nice.
I'm one day back from a 3 day 2 night trip and the other rider (used to wearing a pack) has what looks like an older version of that pack. He always comments on how he likes it and comfort because we both have bike mount packs and he could pretty easily do without the pack if he preferred. I get by without a pack but now thinking of that as a handy way to run the bike naked except on big trips.

On this last adventure, we covered a bit over 60 miles of terrain at mostly 9500 to 10,300 and I know he'd have been complaining if it were an issue. We talked about bikes and load when I realized he wasn't traveling 10# lighter than me but had that extra 10 in his pack so that might give you some perspective. :)
He's had it a while and I'd say it holds up on 'rowdy' rides as it's his every-ride gear. We typically hit the trails for a few hours every week at a different pace than bike packing.
Hopefully by doing a search, you'll find some ratings for those packs by others that can offer helpful insights.
Osprey is one I'll be drawn to if I get something new. My older Dakine is a heli pack and isn't ideal as it's a bit too tall or long.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
I have an EVOC Stage 18L that I really like. Does great for long rides where I'm bringing a good bit of gear, and has a good, sturdy structure that carries well when it's not full, too. It has solid organization for tools and food and stuff, making that stuff quick to access. Built-in raincover for when you're caught out in a downpour. Two different helmet carry systems, so if it's your thing, you can bring a full face AND a half lid on a ride (wear one, stow the other).

The USWE suspension looks interesting, but I'm skeptical of their claim about eliminating the need for a hip belt. Nontraditional designs like that are something I'd definitely want to try out before I dropped money on them.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an EVOC Stage 18L that I really like. Does great for long rides where I'm bringing a good bit of gear, and has a good, sturdy structure that carries well when it's not full, too. It has solid organization for tools and food and stuff, making that stuff quick to access. Built-in raincover for when you're caught out in a downpour. Two different helmet carry systems, so if it's your thing, you can bring a full face AND a half lid on a ride (wear one, stow the other).

The USWE suspension looks interesting, but I'm skeptical of their claim about eliminating the need for a hip belt. Nontraditional designs like that are something I'd definitely want to try out before I dropped money on them.
Harold, where did you get your Stage 18L at? That's at the top of my list right now. How is sizing? is it one size fits all?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
Harold, where did you get your Stage 18L at? That's at the top of my list right now. How is sizing? is it one size fits all?
I don't remember where I bought it, honestly. Found a place with one of the colors on sale and bought that one.

I think it's a one size deal. Don't see any sizing indications on mine.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Harold. That's what I thought as far as sizing is concerned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.