Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The clamp bolt on my STI M950 8 Speed XTR shifter broke. And now it pivots around on my handlebar. My local shop is telling me that they can not get a replacement screw and I should just fork out the $200-300 for a new set of shifters. Well I guess I would also have to get a 9 speed cassette too.

My current drive train works fine. It just needs a screw. I checked Home Depot. Nothing. Its a pretty odd screw. Is there a place online that sells replacement shimano parts?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
It's been a whle but I think it's a chainring bolt or some other common bike bolt for the STIs. Post a picture.

·
Person
775 Posts
Chainring bolt should work

I have the XTR shifter/lever combo and have a chainring bolt in one of them. It works perfectly. Make sure you use a fancy anodized aluminum bolt. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Get a longer one....

Chainring bolts come in different lengths. Any good shop should have a longer one that will fit.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am sure if you try a bit more dilligently you will find one

The Berryman said:
Hi,

The clamp bolt on my STI M950 8 Speed XTR shifter broke. And now it pivots around on my handlebar. My local shop is telling me that they can not get a replacement screw and I should just fork out the $200-300 for a new set of shifters. Well I guess I would also have to get a 9 speed cassette too.

My current drive train works fine. It just needs a screw. I checked Home Depot. Nothing. Its a pretty odd screw. Is there a place online that sells replacement shimano parts?

Shimano didn't have these fasteners custom made. Skip home depot and go to a family owned hardware (Ace, TruValue, etc). Big box stores are as good for small parts like this as toy stores are for bikes. Have one of the attendants help you find one and get the specific thread pitch. You can cut the screw/bolt to lenght with a hacksaw or dremel...just thread a nut on first so you can back it off to clean the threads. You may have to deal with a phillips head screw rather than allen keyed head.

I can't believe that a bike shop wouldn't be more help. My LBS called cannondale for me and got them to mail me a set of new decals (for free) for my wifes MTB that I just restored/upgraded. I have found that it the help/cooperation you get is greatly dependant on who is in the LBS when you ask. Some of the folks there treat customers as a nuisance, while others work there because they LOVE bikes and will do whatever they can to help a fellow cyclist.

Good Luck
dh1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts