Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to replace the wifes ageing steel hardtail with a full suspension xc bike. The components on her old steel bike are in excellent condition so I was thinking of getting a frame and building it up myself. Any suggestions and or leads on some good quality frames out there? I have been looking on Ebay and the classifieds here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just finished assembling my 304. But I gotta replace the rear der cable and housing before I can make a judgement on it. But for the price, I'm digging it (so far). Built it up with the components off of my i-Drive (XT/LX, Manitou Black Comp, Avid V's, etc..).
Whatever you go with, good luck and enjoy.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,916 Posts
the catamount frames that ediscountbike has on ebay are the best deal. $99US for a 4" travel XC frame.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Frozenspokes said:
I have decided to replace the wifes ageing steel hardtail with a full suspension xc bike. The components on her old steel bike are in excellent condition so I was thinking of getting a frame and building it up myself. Any suggestions and or leads on some good quality frames out there? I have been looking on Ebay and the classifieds here.
What qualifies as "inexpensive" to you?

·
Registered
571 Posts
DeeEight said:
the catamount frames that ediscountbike has on ebay are the best deal. $99US for a 4" travel XC frame.
I've spent the past month on my eDiscount eBay Catamount.
A sweet cross crountry and fire road frame. The smoothness of the suspension and the plushness of it rivals my old Giant AC. No bob at all because the BB is on the swingarm. Mount an SPV fork in the front like the Minute and it will spring and pedal like a rigid bike but offer such cush (when seated). This frame pedals like a bike with an SPV rear end.

Which brings me to my next point. This bike is sweet and awesome seated and for sprinting.
BUT, if you like to take small drops like off of logs or easier XC one footers, then you will get no suspension and you will feel it just like you would on a hardtail. It's just the nature of the URT sweet spot design.

I've enjoyed the Catamount very much, but I might strip it and sell it because of sizing issues. It's a little too large for me in regards to standover height. So if you want a it, I am thinking about selling it for $80 plus I will throw in 2 sets of replacement bushings. It's a 19" center to top, but the imaginary seatube length compresses when you sit so it's really an 18" with sag.

·
Registered
571 Posts
DLine said:
What qualifies as "inexpensive" to you?
True, give us a price range. Since you mentioned FSR, how about the Propulsion?

If $599 is inexpensive to you, then the Horst rear end Azonic Propulsion is a good buy, complete with a Romic shock. Price Point is clearing this out. It's similar looking and in design to the $950 Turner Burner at Supergo. As a matter of fact, the Azonic is more of burlier built and some 4x race those in the small sizes.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am probably looking at something in the $500 range

I would like to get a frame and fork both for that, but may go up to $600 if it is a nice enough frame and fork combo. I have also considered getting a whole new bike for her, but have not made it out to the LBS with her yet.

Whatever bike we get, the thing has to pedal. If it descends like a GOD and climbs like DOGpoop, please don't bother. We are all about XC riding

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
2 suggestions

Frozenspokes said:
I would like to get a frame and fork both for that, but may go up to $600 if it is a nice enough frame and fork combo. I have also considered getting a whole new bike for her, but have not made it out to the LBS with her yet.

Whatever bike we get, the thing has to pedal. If it descends like a GOD and climbs like DOGpoop, please don't bother. We are all about XC riding
Both suggestions are new bike frames that can be had for under $600

1) For a bike the will climb incredible and is very light, A GT Team I-Drive. As a bike, this was a full on race bike.

2) For more of a trailbike for under $600, you may want to consider a closeout priced Mountain Cycle SLIX. I really like Mountain Cycle and they do really nice work. This bike will still climb very well but will not have quite the XC geometry of the above.

Both frames can be had at www.greenfishsports.com right now.

Based on my very brief review of possible websites for new bikes, these would be 2 strong contenders in my opinion.

Cheers

·
Registered
668 Posts
Frozenspokes said:

Here's a thought -

I know lots of folks who buy sale bikes with nice component specs just to get the parts. Take the Weyless XP for instance - Fox Talas front and rear shock with XT parts and decent wheels - whole bike 1600. It'd be hard to get that parts spec for 1600, much less with the frame. Point is, look for used (only in the pre-owned sense) frames here and on ebay, and I bet you could find a screaming deal for a decent frame. Specialized, Trek, and Giant all spec bikes pretty cheaply, along with the Supergos and Performance brands.

Jamis makes good, inexpensive bikes as well. I looked into the Azonic Propulsion frame before I bought a Turner Burner. Pretty nice bike, the Azonic, and a great deal at 599. I'll be interested to see what others come up with...

·
Registered
571 Posts
FoShizzle said:
...2) For more of a trailbike for under $600, you may want to consider a closeout priced Mountain Cycle SLIX. I really like Mountain Cycle and they do really nice work. This bike will still climb very well but will not have quite the XC geometry of the above...
I've haven't ridden the Slix, but there have been many accounts of it not being a good climber and bobs. Like in this review:

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool bikes!

Thanks for the info and links. Please keep them coming! I have actually looked at a Gary Fisher Shugar. She liked the bike, but it was too big. We will stop by the other LBS this week and have her look at some Specialized and Giant bikes. Outside of that, I had only looked at the Weyless from Supergo

·
Registered Dietitian
1,731 Posts
Read between the lines...

dirtpaws said:
I've haven't ridden the Slix, but there have been many accounts of it not being a good climber and bobs. Like in this review:

... of course it bobs, it's a low-single-pivot design . A Kona, Titus Loco-Moto, Jekyll, or even a Ventana will have similar bobbing without a stable-platfrom shock of some sort.

You could buy the SLIX, send the shock to PUSH for platform modification, and have a very stiff frame with almost zero bobbing for a very reasonable price. I think that would make a great FS XC bike, especially on a budget...

EDIT: didn't notice the SLIX comes with a SID air shock from Greenfish. I'd sell the SID, buy a used Float from eBay and get it PUSH-modded (PUSH won't work on Rock SHox stuff).

Tommy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.