Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my g/f an entry level mountain bike for her birthday and have been shopping around but not sure what might be the best. I am looking to spend only around the $300 mark because I am not quite sure how much she will use it. I have a Specialized Hardrock Pro and am basically a beginner. If she got into it, we could learn together. Otherwise, she may just be a street rider. Even so, I want to get her a mountain bike.

I have looked at the Trek 3700, Specialized Hardrock Sport, Giant Boulder SE and the Bianchi Ocelot. I thought I wanted to make sure she had an aluminum frame but some things caught my eye about the Bianchi, supposedly the steel frame would be more durable and the grip shifter, easier for a beginner to use and the SRAM components as well seem to make this bike a good option. Plus the stem is more in an upright position which might be a little easier to maneuver for her. I know there really isn't much of a difference in bikes from mens to womens at this price level so I am hoping I can get some input.

Do I want grip shifters or rapid fire? Do I want a steel vs. aluminum frame? Any thoughts on bikes in general? Thank you in advance.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
corphq9 said:
I am buying my g/f an entry level mountain bike for her birthday and have been shopping around but not sure what might be the best. I am looking to spend only around the $300 mark because I am not quite sure how much she will use it. I have a Specialized Hardrock Pro and am basically a beginner. If she got into it, we could learn together. Otherwise, she may just be a street rider. Even so, I want to get her a mountain bike.

I have looked at the Trek 3700, Specialized Hardrock Sport, Giant Boulder SE and the Bianchi Ocelot. I thought I wanted to make sure she had an aluminum frame but some things caught my eye about the Bianchi, supposedly the steel frame would be more durable and the grip shifter, easier for a beginner to use and the SRAM components as well seem to make this bike a good option. Plus the stem is more in an upright position which might be a little easier to maneuver for her. I know there really isn't much of a difference in bikes from mens to womens at this price level so I am hoping I can get some input.

Do I want grip shifters or rapid fire? Do I want a steel vs. aluminum frame? Any thoughts on bikes in general? Thank you in advance.
I think you ought to give her the budget or a gift certificate, and let HER select the bike. Fit is critical on a first bike. Does she want grip shift or rapid fire? Which one fits her the best? Feels most "right"?... let her make some of the decisions, it will give her more ownership over the whole thing...

just 2¢

formica

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
formica said:
I think you ought to give her the budget or a gift certificate, and let HER select the bike. Fit is critical on a first bike. Does she want grip shift or rapid fire? Which one fits her the best? Feels most "right"?... let her make some of the decisions, it will give her more ownership over the whole thing...

just 2¢

formica
Good idea! Most of the LBS's that I have talked to told me that I could buy it, if I wanted and then trade it in, as long as she didn't really use it. I like your idea better. I want to help her with suggestions though so this is a good process. Thanks!

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
Bike fit

corphq9 said:
Well, I know people love their steel bikes for their less harsh ride.

Grip shift vs rapid fire is only personal preference, either would be fine.

Bike fit is the most important thing to consider. She should try them all out and decide which one feels best to her.

Ask for a women's specific saddle, whatever you buy. Again, she will want to try them out.

Spike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.