Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm starting to travel for mtb more and I'd like to record some of the rides for posterity and to share with friends. If I do anything on youtube, it'll be to share with family and friends, not looking to be a youtuber. I'm really bad with technology in general, I can't even use the editing tools on a samsung phone. So I'm looking for something with decent resolution and shock protection that isn't too expensive.

I'm thinking about this because of the recent review on the Insta360 Go 2. That looks like something that could work for me but I'm wondering if there is a competing product I should look at as well.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
464 Posts
To start with, check out this guy's videos. He's way into 360 cameras and such. He does evaluations of the current crop every 3-6 months and will tell you which ones are good, bad, or indifferent. Also which ones are being discontinued, which is often a surprise.

I originally bought a Rylo (just before they went out of business), then an Insta 360 One X, then an Insta 360 One R. The Insta's are great because they have a phone app that allows you to not only control the camera, but review the footage immediately so you know what you got. The app also allows basic editing and framing, good enough for putting up a youtube video.

Check out this video I did with the One R on a chest mount. Note the image stabilization. That started out as a 360 video, reframed to a flat 1080p video with the forward view locked.

·
Registered
140 Posts
To start with, check out this guy's videos. He's way into 360 cameras and such. He does evaluations of the current crop every 3-6 months and will tell you which ones are good, bad, or indifferent. Also which ones are being discontinued, which is often a surprise.

I originally bought a Rylo (just before they went out of business), then an Insta 360 One X, then an Insta 360 One R. The Insta's are great because they have a phone app that allows you to not only control the camera, but review the footage immediately so you know what you got. The app also allows basic editing and framing, good enough for putting up a youtube video.

Check out this video I did with the One R on a chest mount. Note the image stabilization. That started out as a 360 video, reframed to a flat 1080p video with the forward view locked.
No offense intended, but is that a full resolution upload? There is a lot of blocky pixels and it seems kinda "glitchy" in places.

It's pretty grainy compared to the newest GoPro offering.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any thoughts on the Oclu cameras? They're closer to GoPro but even cheaper than Insta360.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you buy any camera then isn't any need for editing?
Couldn't understand,
Yet I want to suggest, you can edit with "wonder share filmora " on a computer or phone
It's an easy software I have been using for video editing without losing pixels!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts
They are all varying degrees of horrible IMO and IME. Gopro app is horrible. Windows used to have a cool movie editor that was relatively easy to use, they abandoned that a few years ago. There is a video editor in windows still, but it's pretty horrible compared to what it replaced. Mac is mac, it's not any better, you have to learn what all the functions do and there's just too many functions and it's always not the simple stuff you want. I've used others and I have not found anything that I would qualify as "easy to use".

·
Destroyer of Worlds
464 Posts
No offense intended, but is that a full resolution upload? There is a lot of blocky pixels and it seems kinda "glitchy" in places.

It's pretty grainy compared to the newest GoPro offering.
That's youtube doing that. The original on my hard drive is fine. There might be settings you can play with on the upload, or maybe they want you to pay for a creator account to get full resolution. Haven't bothered to investigate it.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
464 Posts
They are all varying degrees of horrible IMO and IME. Gopro app is horrible. Windows used to have a cool movie editor that was relatively easy to use, they abandoned that a few years ago. There is a video editor in windows still, but it's pretty horrible compared to what it replaced. Mac is mac, it's not any better, you have to learn what all the functions do and there's just too many functions and it's always not the simple stuff you want. I've used others and I have not found anything that I would qualify as "easy to use".
Yeah, video editors seem to come in two styles: Easy to use, or useful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.