Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I somehow broke my bike frame, it was a Gary Fisher Tassajara, I went to the Trek agency where I acquired the bike some years ago and filled out an application for warranty, two weeks later I received a new frame from the factory, however, there are some things I worry about this new frame.

a) It just says Gary Fisher on white letters, and has no labels mentioning any model, so I asked at the store and was told it was an "ACDC", as the rock band. I found that two bikes used this frame, the 2006 Big Sur and the Ziggurat, however there is not much on the internet about these bikes. Even here at MTBR.com could not find a review for them.

b) The frame is of a shiny silver color, very nice but unlike my old Tassajara this one has seatstays and carbon chainstays, I was told at the store is the best replacement frame they found for me, since my bike is V-brake and GF no longer manufacture V-Brakes bikes. It looks sort of "cool" the contrast of silver vs the natural carbon.

I am very concerned about this frame, it looks nice but I have a strange feeling on having a bike frame without tags you know? like if they were intentionally removed it honestly projects me the feeling of a repaired frame so I start thinking on sell this and buy a new bike.

So, here is where I need your help if possible.

Talking a fair price how much do you think I can get for this frame?

The fact that it does not mention the model makes it cheaper? or "hard to find"?

Thank you for your advise.

Daniel Vazquez
BajaExcursions

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You're going to sell a frame to someone else because you're concerned it won't stand up to you riding it? Yeow.

Fisher doesn't typically sell framesets. So they probably only have non-stickered frames available for warranty replacement. I wouldn't worry about it. If I was worried about it, I'd expect to find problems, if any, at the welds and where the carbon and aluminum are bonded together.

If I'd just gotten my frame warranty-replaced, though, I'd just build it up and be happy, as long as it fit.

If you're really worried about it, why not email Trek support? They probably have a record of what they did with that frame. Serial number's probably on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Trek (GF) has a good reputation on respecting their warranties. I don't think you had a crappy frame.

You can also post this on the GF forum and you'll get a lot of feedback about it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It sounds like you actually wound up with a nicer frame than what you had, I wouldn't complain. If it is just the fact that a Gary Fisher frame broke on you that has you worried, don't sweat it, every major manufacturer has had frames that have broken, it happens.

I doubt that you received a repaired frame, it probably wouldn't be cost effective for them to pay someone to assess, repair, align, re-heat treat a mass produced frame, not to mention the liability. More likely you got a frame that has never been assembled into a complete bike, so it doesn't have all of the decals applied. Assuming it is the right size, I would just build it up and be happy that they didn't try to stick me with a cheaper frame.

If I remember right, I think the AC/DC somehow refers to the frame materials(aluminum and carbon fiber) and the bonding process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Amazing! I broke my Gary Fisher Tassajara as well and got the same black frame. I didn't realize at the time, but the frame they sent was a 18" frame, the original frame was a XL, I assume 22" or so. Its been 10 years since I got this frame, I doubt I have any recourse. No wonder I was so uncomfortable for so long :(

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I think you are worring for no reason, if you somehow broke this frame trek would replace it also. That frame is a upgrade from what you had, build it up and ride it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373945959.274396.jpg
Here's my replacement ACDC all built up. Replaced a 1997 pulse comp frame that broke. Absolutely awesome bike. 24.6 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts