Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, I have been wanting to buy myself a nice bike for a while to go mountain bike riding with my friends and I went ahead and got myself the Forge Sawback 5xx Blue Model. I'm looking to get my girlfriend a bike too so she could go riding with me on the weekends. This is going to be a Valentine's Day present and I want to spend somewhere under $180 for the bike. She is 5' 2" and weighs approximately 115 pounds. She is a spinning instructor and is therefore very good at bike riding I suppose (strong legs) but does not have much experience mountain bike riding. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Also, I am 6" 0" tall and weigh around 185. Do you guys think the Blue Forge Sawback 5xx is gonna suit me well. From what I have read, it should be a good fit. I also plan to ride this bike on sidewalks down the beach and on streets. Is this bike adequate for such use? Thanks for the help guys and sorry if I sound a little ignorant, I'm a NOOOB!

Carlos

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yes, at long as you don't huck it or jump/ abuse it too much.

For a cheap bike, I would advise the cheapest to go is about $250
Anything under is just crap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mongoose-Tyax-E...hZ007QQcategoryZ98083QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
This would be good, if she were taller and were a male.
however, I don't think you will be able to find a good mountain bike for any cheaper in a size.
You need a 13inch frame or 14 inch I believe.

The lowest end offerings by trek are the Trek 3700 and trek 820.. those are about the same price as your forge...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
More advice

You say she's a spinning instructor and a good rider. If this is the case, a $180 bike won't cut it my friend. As beautiful a Valentines gift a bike would be, it's just not going to cut it. I'd give serious consideration to buying a different V-Day gift and talk to her in the coming months about the two of you buying bikes together. If she's up for that, then start looking around.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
You say she's a spinning instructor and a good rider. If this is the case, a $180 bike won't cut it my friend. As beautiful a Valentines gift a bike would be, it's just not going to cut it. I'd give serious consideration to buying a different V-Day gift and talk to her in the coming months about the two of you buying bikes together. If she's up for that, then start looking around.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob
I agree, if shes been on nice road bikes, she doesn't want to ride on a crappy walmart bike.
Not to mention, if its a walmart bike, you might actually hurt her instead of giving her something fun to ride with.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
CMC is right. $180 can buy you guys a really nice night out, with flowers, dinner, and wine. Don’t spend it on a cheap bike, as that would be kind of selfish on your part.

Generally, new bikes that are less than $300 have poor components, crap forks, heavy wheels/tires, and are not fun to ride (especially for small, lightweight people). Is that really how you want to introduce her to a sport you’re hoping she’ll share with you?

Ant

·
Registered
22 Posts
CMoneyDollaBillz said:
Also, I am 6" 0" tall and weigh around 185. Do you guys think the Blue Forge Sawback 5xx is gonna suit me well. From what I have read, it should be a good fit. I also plan to ride this bike on sidewalks down the beach and on streets. Is this bike adequate for such use? Thanks for the help guys and sorry if I sound a little ignorant, I'm a NOOOB!

Carlos
I just put together my blue Sawback 5xx, I'm 6Ft tall, with a 34 inseam (fairly long legs), and long arms... Bike fits me perfect... And I'm about 210lbs.

The Forges are fairly well made from what I see. You will need to do some assembly, and the instructions (while better than most bike companies) could be better. (Thank Goodness I've done my share of bike setup in the past). But most of the items were preset quite good, no adjustments were necessary. Of course you can have a LBS build it for about $50 if you've never done it before. I took mine out for about 15 mins before the light went down, and I was very impressed with the ride, and the Deore shifters are like butter.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
let me add to Clyde here...

Math 101:

A Sawbucks 5xx or whatever is OK for you as you are larger and can pedal the thing if it's 33 lbs, but put your sweetheart on that tank at 115lb and that's the equivalent of you on a 50lb DH rig. Put yourself in her (riding) shoes...want to go cruise the beach with a 50lb bike? ................. Right.

At her size and weight, shop wisely and let her chose a nice LIGHTWEIGHT bike that reflects her body mass, not your wallet and thoughts. Trust me, chose wrongly and she simply won't ride it. Your heart's in the right place, just don't blow it.

Good luck, it's a minefield out there.
Jim

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
yeah....

got a letter from Ibex's legal team to switch or else. Unable to raise my own legal team from the LLS (local lawyer store), I caved. Jim;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
JimC. said:
Math 101:

A Sawbucks 5xx or whatever is OK for you as you are larger and can pedal the thing if it's 33 lbs, but put your sweetheart on that tank at 115lb and that's the equivalent of you on a 50lb DH rig. Put yourself in her (riding) shoes...want to go cruise the beach with a 50lb bike? ................. Right.

At her size and weight, shop wisely and let her chose a nice LIGHTWEIGHT bike that reflects her body mass, not your wallet and thoughts. Trust me, chose wrongly and she simply won't ride it. Your heart's in the right place, just don't blow it.

Good luck, it's a minefield out there.
Jim
Read his message again, he was asking about the 5xx for himself at the end.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
skygod74 said:
http://www.huffybikes.com/bikes/index.html

I personally don't ride a huf, but they've been around since 1892. Just make sure she knows what she can and cannot do with her bike and give it a careful look before you let her ride on it. I used to see kids huck these things back in the day with no problem.

If she's hooked, then you can look at buying her that Titus she'll want next V-day. :)
Just watch Beijing Bicycle and you realize you only need a 10 dollar bike for urban assault. =D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.