Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
weekend worrier
562 Posts
heyitsdaver said:
sacramento area- i know nothing about, i've driven through it on the way to tahoe a bunch and didn't seem like anything great. an hour closer to the mountains is good though. seems like a boring place for twenty-somethings
Your impression of Sacramento is completely off base, but that's okay. We prefer having Bay Area folks think we're a cultureless backwater. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, of all the places listed, Sacramento is probably the best place for young professionals given its location, demographics, and cost of living. Cost of living alone would make S.F., Sonoma, and San Jose prohibitive, unless you plan on renting for life. Arcata is a nice town and reasonably affordable, but you will find very few young professionals there. Politically, Humboldt County is a volatile mix of far left and far right that's quite removed from the centrist politics of most of the U.S.

·
Registered
341 Posts
boring? maybe...

Sacramento certainly USED to be rather boring, but it can't be all that bad with all the seaside folks moving inland as they've been doing for the last 5-10 years. As all those people have come here, the prices have gone WAY UP.

You are right though about being close to the mountains. Less than 90 minutes either direction and you are at Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevadas or the Bay Area.

I'll bet your dog would like living in Davis. Check that out...

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
San Jose itself has some higher crime areas, and some areas that people moving into "San Jose" cannot afford, where the crime is much lower ---Think: any part that is built on the hills, in any compass direction. The more dense flatlands have more theft and burglary issues. There's some gang-related issues right in the center of SJ and just East of 101, but consider the surrounding cities to the West that don't have an airport, so they aren't often mentioned. Housing cost increases, crime decreases.

San Jose and the surrounding area has a greater density of single (nerdy) males, so if you're above average looking, you have an advantage scoring a female. If your claim to fame is being nerdy, you have a lottttttt of competition.

I vote Sonoma and Sac for your goals.
Sac offers Rocklin, Auburn, Loomis, etc. which are good areas to purchase R/E if that's your next goal after acquiring your school credentials.

$.02

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
heyitsdaver said:
san jose- kinda ruled it out at first because of the crime, but i'm sure there are decent areas.
Crime in San Jose? Lowest among large cities anywhere in the US.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004902.html

Night life is somewhat muted. CalTrain to SF is a bonus for partying though.

Check out Santa Cruz. You can live relatively cheap, the pace is relatively slow, your dog will be happy there and the riding is great.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
others beat me to it.

rule out SJ for the same reasons as SF (cost of living), but not because of the crime factor.

no offense, but it seems like your impressions for SJ and Sac are a little off base. Don't know about humboldt and sonoma to judge your opinions on those.

One thing for sure is that you will have good riding within reasonable distance from any of those locations. (maybe not riding from your front door distance, tho)

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
I'm hoping, also, that you're checking in with real estate people and posting similar polls on other forums to get more than the slant offered here.

While SJ is one of the safest large cities in the USA, SJ just had it's first homicide for 2007 and I experienced my 2nd auto burglary in November after 24 years of owning cars here.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
Don't forget about commuting to SF State. My wife did it for a while for night classes for her Masters. I wouldn't be too thrilled about living around there either. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Nothing wrong w/ Sacramento. I moved there in my early twenties. I too thought I would be bored out of my gourd. Was I ever wrong.

My suggestion would be to live in Mid-Town. It's an eclectic place that rocks w/ live music, great restaurants, and good vibe.

As for riding and skiing, it's worthy of any place.

Just my $.02,

jps

·
Head First
134 Posts
Sonoma county would be a great place to live if you could afford it, great weather year round, and good mountain biking. It's expensive though and sadly has gotten overcrowded(I lived in Santa Rosa/Windsor for 8 yrs).

I used to think Sac was just a place to stop for gas on my way to Tahoe, now that I live here I see it's much more. Great mountain biking, close to tahoe, good camping/backpacking. As for night life, I hear it's ok downtown, I'd rather go backpacking though.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I think you might get a better repsonse if you're a little bit more specific as to exactly what you are looking for. These four places are all different and unique so it's a little hard to offer much advice. As a former Arcata resident, I will say that if you really can't stand hippies, it's probably not the place for you. And seconding what everyone else has said, San Jose has very little crime for its size. Are you limited to CSU's?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey, you could join Melt at Cal State Chico!

Or better yet, you could to to Cal State Stanislaus and have your very own mountain-biking botany professor, Mr. Wherewolf!

I live in Santa Rosa, and I love it. I moved here from San Francisco, so by comparison it's not that expensive. But if you're young and want nightlife, I'd say you should live as a peasant for a couple years and try San Francisco. Where else can you walk down the street on a Sunday afternoon and pass a ***** on Bikes ride, an Anarchist Croquet match, and hear 14 languages on a city bus? There are always great clubs/bars/restaurants happening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.