Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for almost 6years, and I'm looking for a new ride. I currently ride a blur but am unsure if I should get a freeride bike or something a little more aggressive than what I have. I could go either way in terms of getting rid of the blur and buying something in the 6inch range, or I could keep the blur and by a freeride bike.

I like the VPFree as well as the VPX. From what I can tell they seem very similiar.

If I get rid of my blur I like the idea of either the new nomad or maybe something like a 6 pack.

I am not a hardcore rider. I like small drops, something withing 4-6ft, but who knows maybe I'll become addicted and want do something bigger.

The blur handles great, though if I don't get a second bike would something a little bigger cover both ends of the spectrum? Will the 6" travel bikes handle what I 'm looking to do?
Since I haven't been searching out drops would a freeride bike be too much for my type of riding?

Hoping to clear the air.
CR

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
I'd keep the Blur

yours is a common issue in our group; over the last few years those of us with big bikes have bought trail bikes to cope with XC when we want to. A 40lb or more boinger was too much to pedal around.

I'd keep the Blur; the bikes you mention are fine. The big problem is that there are a plethora of excellent 6-7" bikes out now. From the new Enduro SX to the heckler/Bullit/Nomad pack, Turner, Foes. jeez, pick one I guess. but 6" will do you nicely.

I bought a 7.5" Horst FR bike, and while it's a bit too much bike for me, the ride makes my trails a true pleasure. I have a 4.75" 03 Enduro for trails.

Good luck, Jim

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
Keep it and add to the stable :D
I have never gotten rid of a bike I just add another to the family,sometimes retired bikes get fitted with ski's for the winter time

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
id have to agree with jim and dewey. another bike in the stable cant hurt. if u keep ull probably be getting a bigger bike for fr right? if so, id have to say demo 8/9 if u have the money. vtachs are nice too, plenty to choose from and any decision from the higher end fr bikes would be equally good

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
you could build a light VP free around 36 pounds...a little more chore pedaling up the hill but worth it on the downslope...maybe look into a used bullit

·
urbantrailridingroadie
502 Posts
In the same boat

I too am trying to decide btwn a FR bike and a 6" bike. I currently ride a Chameleon and a Superlight.

I'm in no way a hucker. Though I think with a bike that can handle it I would bump it up a bit from where I'm at now.

Most riders I know that have FR bikes pedal just about everywhere I do locally.

I think the best thing to do is get the FR bike and then in a couple/few years purchase a 5-6" trailbike. The reason behind my thinking is if you get the FR bike now your style will change with the bike. And w/in a couple/few years if you want something lighter, you'll want a bike that can handle you new and improved riding style. Henceforth the new trailbike.

I actually have a Uzzi VPX frame on lay-away because I still have a gut feeling I should go with the 6" bike now. Since I currently ride my Chameleon more than my Superlight and can do all my local trails while a having a blast on it; I believe this is why I can't seem to settle on an answer. Though the long term plan of a FR and a 5-6" trail bike in the stable I'm sure it will be the better way to go.

So if you come up with any other insight please pass it on. As JimC says there are soooo many bikes to choose from. Maybe within a couple of years the good will standout from the bad making our choice for the next bike that much easier.

Hope it helps,
tep

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am kinda in the same situation as you Tep, but have decided to go the route of 6 inch trail bike first, FR second. My reason is to gradually work my way to free riding rather than straight up "hucking" myself into it. Open to opinions.

·
urbantrailridingroadie
502 Posts
tXXXn said:
I am kinda in the same situation as you Tep, but have decided to go the route of 6 inch trail bike first, FR second. My reason is to gradually work my way to free riding rather than straight up "hucking" myself into it. Open to opinions.
I live in LA and ride the SM's mainly. I feel that a FR bike for this area is kind of in the 'overkill' mentalilty. As corny as it sounds I feel like I'll be missing out on the 'feel' of the ride. The times I have ridden a bigger bike, it was a total blast!!, but I couldn't feel the trail below me. Right now since I have been riding my Chameleon more than anything, yeah I most definitely 'feel' the trail, but I think/know I've have definitely improved my trailriding abilitly. If you are familiar with the SB front range trails (ie: Tunnel, Cold Springs, Jesusita) I've ridden my Chameleon on these trails, and very successfully I might add. Yes I do think and know that a bigger bike would be more comfortable and more fun on these types of trails, but my MAIN point is you don't need a big bike to do hardcore types of riding. So wouldn't a 6" bike be enough for most applications?

tep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.