Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any on know of a shoe brand that sells REALLY wide SPD compatible shoes. I have developed a condition on my right foot called Norton's Neuroma and I need to find a men's bike shoe that is at least 2E width and hopefully 4E width so I can add special inserts.

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone out there that might have come up with a remedy for this condition. Riding with regulars shoes on flats helps, but I would really like to clip in again.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i wear an 11.5 2E-4E depending upon the shoe. i've been wearing a pair of sidi dominators for about 4 years now and they have been great and extremely durable. i can't remember what size i bought...but 48 comes to mind.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Slowly said:
Does any on know of a shoe brand that sells REALLY wide SPD compatible shoes. I have developed a condition on my right foot called Norton's Neuroma and I need to find a men's bike shoe that is at least 2E width and hopefully 4E width so I can add special inserts.

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone out there that might have come up with a remedy for this condition. Riding with regulars shoes on flats helps, but I would really like to clip in again.

Thanks,

Dennis
I developed the same problem (Mortons Nueroma) from wearing too narrow cycling shoes. Sidi makes a mega wide and Specialized and Carnac also make wider shoes.

·
Registered
19,086 Posts
Lake makes wide shoes. http://tinyurl.com/tljzt

Usually Morton's neuroma responds slowly if at all to orthotics. In my experience either a steroid injection or sclerosing injections (a treatment that shrinks the nerve) work better. Surgical removal of the enlarged nerve is most definitive and is a relatively quick, easy procedure with short healing time (3-4 weeks).

p.s, one doesn't usually need extra-wide shoes to fit an orthotic. If the orthotic is too wide, see if the lab can grind it down to fit your normal shoe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ixnay on the Lakes

I have size 9 EEEEE feet. The last few years have brought a great deal of relief to my feet with the introduction of off-the-shelf wide cycling shoes. I grabbed some of the aforementioned Lake 165X shoes from Nashbar, but they are nowhere near as wide is my Sidi Mega road shoes. Wider than D, yes, but not wiiiiiiiiiiiiide. That said, they're pretty well-made shoes.

Go with the Sidis, and good luck with your feet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wide shoes

Thanks to all for the help. I will check out the Sidi's

Nat -- You are spot on about the treatment for Morton's and I may end up having to do something more drastic soon. For the time being I have found that switching from my normal 2E size street shoe to a 4E brings considerable relief, hence the search for wider SPD shoes.

Rivet--welcome to the club, not that either of us really want to be members!!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Nat said:
Lake makes wide shoes. http://tinyurl.com/tljzt

Usually Morton's neuroma responds slowly if at all to orthotics. In my experience either a steroid injection or sclerosing injections (a treatment that shrinks the nerve) work better. Surgical removal of the enlarged nerve is most definitive and is a relatively quick, easy procedure with short healing time (3-4 weeks).

p.s, one doesn't usually need extra-wide shoes to fit an orthotic. If the orthotic is too wide, see if the lab can grind it down to fit your normal shoe.
you are pretty smart, for a doctor anyway....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.