Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm trying to find a better sealant injector for filling and topping off my tires. I used to use the official Stan's and Truckerco injectors where you remove the valve core and slip the surgical tubing over the valve to inject. The problem I've had with this style is that it leaves enough sealant residue on the inside of the valve that my cores will inevitably get gunked up sooner or later.

The other kind I've been trying is the "straw-type" injector where you slip a plastic "straw" through the valve and inject directly into the tire. I've used this Giant syringe and a similar "Thinvik" brand.

The problem with this type is that the straw and tubing is too thin (about 1.5mm ID). It's probably fine for pure Stan's sealant, but anything with the tiniest bit of particulates gums it up too easily (In my case, E13 Plasma). I've struggled with it all morning and need a better solution.

I'm sure the straw and tubing are adapted from medicine or chemistry and they work for sealant in some cases, but they're just too narrow to be ideal. I'm trying to find something like this, but with a wider ID more suitable for tubeless sealant. Does anybody know of a brand that makes something wider?

The closest thing I can find is the Motion Pro Fork Oil Level Tool:

The "straw" portion has a much wider ID though it's too long and would need to be cut down. That's a possible alternative though. Aside from a "hack" like this, can anyone recommend a purpose-made sealant injector that has a wider ID and won't coat the valve with sealant?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use an old bottom half of a syringe. It sits inside the valve, if the sealant needs some coaxing to drop into the wheel due to the vacuum i just poke an old spoke down through the syringe. and valve.
I too use this method, but I use the complete syringe to inject the sealant. I use a larges syringe and buy them from the local pet super store that has all manner of disposable syringes. These syringes have a couple of different tips, one of which fits perfectly into the valve.

The trick to using the complete syringe is two fold. First you have to make sure the syringe does not pop out when injecting. Because it is just sitting inside the core, if you lift the syringe at all during the injection process it will lift straight out and make a mess. So inject slowly and thoughtfully! Finally make sure the syringe is empty before carefully removing. The first tyre or two I definitely has some spillage, by inadvertently removing the syringe when injecting . Now it's mess free and quick. The thicker the sealant the more careful you have to be with injecting.

The technique is as follows.
  • Remove the plunger from the syringe
  • place syringe base into valve core.
  • pour fluid into syringe
  • carefully reinstall the plunger. Just wiggle it in, without removing the syringe from the core and making a mess! This is the tricky bit.
  • inject
  • remove syringe plunger again and repeat until you have the required amount of sealant injected
  • you need to keep the syringe in place during the entire process.

Also when storing the bike at any time, keep the valve down to drain.

·
damned rocks...
2,805 Posts
After injecting the sealant thru valve stem I simply inject some distilled water with a clean syringe with a strong push on the plunger, this will make a short water jet strong enough to clean any sealant residue on the valve stem.

·
Boom bap ambassador
996 Posts
I have been using a Luer Lock valve/stopcock like this one - Argon PVC Ext Line W/ Male Luer Lock & Stopcock Ref 041115002A Exp 03/2023 | eBay - just need a Luer Lock syringe which can be found at somewhere like Tractor Supply or anywhere that sells medical stuff usually (CVS, Walgreen's) or online:

What I like about it is that the valve keeps me from having to keep the sealant from going all over the place/having it go all over the place until I'm ready to go and the end fits down in the presta valve body.

I have had good luck using just the stopcock but it can be a little tricky to fit a 40-50ml syringe and the plunger at extension between the spokes where the tubing setup allows for a hand holding the presta end in place and the other hand can be used to flip open the valve and push the plunger down.

At one point I had a kit, I think it comes with Orange Seal in certain configurations, that comes with a piece of vinyl tubing that fits over the outside diameter of the presta valve and it works really well but depending on your valves you may have a tight fit on some but a little too loose of a fit on another based on variations in different valve bodies.

On paper a small finger actuated hose clamp would work with the tubing over the outside of the valve but I'm not sure how easy it would be to find one that you can just squeeze open that would fit on a presta valve body and also if that would be enough to take up the slack in the tubing to prevent sealant from getting around the valve body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.