Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a suggestion to post this in this forum.

Want to get a wide-based clipless pedal. Looking at the Shimano XTR PD-M985 Trail Mountain Pedals.

Comments on this and others I should eval.

THX in advance - Phread

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Mallet DHs probably have the largest overall platform, and they are more durable than Mallets of years past (take that into account if you read the reviews of the old Mallets). They ride great as a platform, and require little maintenance. The one thing you will find is that all of the platform+clippy pedals perform very poorly as a platform. Even for short sections when unclipped, they feel far sketchier than either a full flat or a full clipless pedal. I know a lot of people that have used them in the past, and all but one have switched to either full clipless or flats, myself included.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
Was just referred to the Time Atac DH4's. ANy comments?
I moved to them because of the past poor longevity issues with Mallets, still running the same set four years later without any real maintenance and liking them but agree with the comment above about clip+platform pedals not being that grippy when not clipped in.

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
The Time ATAC DH series were tough as nails. heavy too. I have the MX pedals from Time now and quite like them. I like time for quality construction and performance. Tried Shimano and Crank Brothers pedals too, and I always go back to Times.

One consideration is whether you have other bikes with clipless pedals. then it makes more sense to "stay in the family" so your cleats are the same.

Also, as mentionned above, even pedals with a platform aren't great when not clipped in. If you're hoping to use them with and without pedals it won't work particularly well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.