Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I currently use Maxxis High Roler ST UST tyres in 2.35" which are very good but alittle heavy.

I love Panaracer Cinder 2.25" but they don't come in UST.

Is there anything out there which is a true allrounder, over 2.1" which will help my XM819/Bulbs spin lighter?

The bikes I run: Uzzi VPX, Transition Preston and the like...

·
Registered
734 Posts
The Hutchinson Spider (UST AirLight) comes in a 2.10 but is large (more like a 2.20, larger than a lot of 2.30's) and is very light. See Shiggy's site for dimensions (what manufacturers print on the sides of their tires should never be used as an absolute measure of actual size)

The Spider is a great mixed condition tire; it is very aggressive, grips and corners well even in light mud and (oddly enough for an aggressive tire) rolls really well on hard-pack (or frozen soil) It will eventually bog down in heavy mud (as will any wide tire) but I have been amazed (considering how well it rolls) how much traction it gives in severe conditions.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Transition J said:
I think I'll go 2.1 to save a little more weight, although I can only find the 2.3 UST and the 2.0 air light listed in your specs section Shiggy...

:)
Dont know if you buy online (and I don't have any affiliation with them) but a friend of mine picked up the 2.10 airlight UST's for $29 (ea) at greenfish sports (he forwarded me the link because he know I run (mostly) spiders in the winter and thought I might want a spare for the season.)

here you go

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=579

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Transition J said:
Thank you, and what a coincidence as I've just been looking at Greenfish's eBay listings!

However I am from the UK and I'm in the trade so I should be able to source them from the distributor. Thank you though :)

Do you use them in the summer too?
The Spider is one of the best "most-condition" tires on the market. Works well in the sand and rock of Utah and the mud of western Oregon.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, and what a coincidence as I've just been looking at Greenfish's eBay listings!

However I am from the UK and I'm in the trade so I should be able to source them from the distributor. Thank you though :)

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shiggy said:
The Spider is one of the best "most-condition" tires on the market. Works well in the sand and rock of Utah and the mud of western Oregon.
Then it looks like my bikes' Christmas present is sorted then! :)

Many thanks guys :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Transition J said:

Only occasionally. The one Achilles heel in the spider (IMHO) is that when you get a loose dry covering over the hardpack (typical NE late summer conditions) they begin to drag quickly. Tires like the Roll-x or the Nevegal lite (the 1.95 only) roll noticably faster. This may be specific to the dusty (mostly clay/silt) covering we get in NE because in deep silt or sand they aren't any more draggy than most (including the nevegal and the Roll-X) So in the summer I mostly run a Roll-X or even a Python or Fast Trak (Specialized) if the ground is really hard. However if it rains... out come the spiders;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.