Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of trail bell do you use if any? Seems people/hikers get startled if they don't hear me comming up from behind and I say "on your left..." How far away do people usually yell/alert hikers when you come behind them?

I'm thinking a trail bell would work well in those situations and maybe around blind corners...

Any cool trail bells out there that people like?

Phil.

·
Registered
204 Posts
AIR HORN! Imagine... quiet singletrack....someone ahead of you slowly climbing... quitely come up behind them and HOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNKKKKKK!!!!!! Watch them crap thier lycra! Whewp!

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I miss my bell...

My vote is for the Incredabell. Its loud and so light you almost can't feel it in the palm of your hand.
It does have one disadvantage though. Like all bike bells, it will ring constantly on rough trails.
I love mine, but had to remove it when I moved from Northern Ca to Nevada because it won't stop ringing on the rock sections at Bootleg.

·
Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
323 Posts
I use this bell on all my bikes.

You never hear it while you're riding along no matter how rough the trail is, and it's survived numerous crashes without damage.

Just start dinging it a hundred metres or so behind the group you're approaching, and usually someone will hear it. If not, close the distance a little more and try again.

Thank them as you pass and be on your way.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Pucker Factor said:

You never hear it while you're riding along no matter how rough the trail is, and it's survived numerous crashes without damage.

Just start dinging it a hundred metres or so behind the group you're approaching, and usually someone will hear it. If not, close the distance a little more and try again.

agreed..the incredibell is great.

however, i am partial to more color (and Salsa) and have this on my bikes as well as my kids bikes

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeh I'm gona ne switching to one of those bells next week - got sick of hearing my old fashion bell going on rough roads. The disadvantage is that the oldie bell really worked well when on the streets and you see cars coming out of side-streets.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Pucker Factor said:

I've got this one and it works great.

·
Registered
979 Posts
After getting lost in the forest a couple times...

Prexus2005 said:
What kinds of trail bell do you use if any? Seems people/hikers get startled if they don't hear me comming up from behind and I say "on your left..." How far away do people usually yell/alert hikers when you come behind them?

I'm thinking a trail bell would work well in those situations and maybe around blind corners...

Phil.
I opted for one of these.

They do work as a compass, but they are not very accurate. If you examine a bin full of these bells, you will find that they do not all agree on which direction is north.

The best thing to do, is to figure out which way is really north and buy one that is fairly close.

If you ride in dense forest, with many branching unfamiliar trails, then one of these can help you hold a bearing, and prevent you from travelling in circles.

You can't leave them out in really cold weather. The fluid freezes and cracks the ball. The fluid then drains out, and the compass is dead.

old_dude

Attachments

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Pucker Factor said:

A 2nd on that one. I did sport one for a few months that made a HookaHonka noise like a clown's nose. I'd usually get a few laughs each ride.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Another Incredibell vote

Prexus2005 said:

Phil.
I don't use it on the trail bike, but I do on the street bike (as do my kids), since those paths are chock full of people. I usually ring it with enough warning that they have time to get past their startled "deer in the headlights" reaction, and then I follow up with a "passing on your left". This gives them plenty of time to react and move directly into the line I've chosen because all they hear is "left", and move accordingly in that direction. :D

Clyde

·
Registered
683 Posts
Bells should be standard equipment on MTB's

Prexus2005 said:

Phil.
I have never gotten a negative reaction from a hiker when I ding my bell. It's a totally non-threatening way to alert them. They are usually quite appreciative that they've been alerted.

Are you guys joking about the Kona mini cowbell? I think that would get real annoying, real quick.

I don't know who makes the ones I have, but they are black and gold with different designs (small concentric circles, cross-hatch pattern, etc.), and the bell is a "Taj Mahal" shape, different than any I've seen out there. If you're interested, just check around. I originally saw them at the Cascade Cream Puff race, and I had to look at 3 or 4 shops before I found them.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
My bear bell seems to warn hikers pretty well, as long as there are some bumps in the trail (doesn't take much though). I have a "pathway" bell on my bike too, but I seldom have to use it when I have the bear bell engaged.

FWIW Wal-mart's outdoors section has bear bells that come with a cover that has a magnet to silence the "dinger", nice feature when it's not needed.

G

·
you can get

a hiker's bell (bear bell), rings constantly when you move. I have one for hicking remote places. It comes in a net just the size of the bell and there is a magnet at the bottom of the net so you can flip the net on for silence or off for noisy mode.

Franck

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.