Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having difficulty deciding on an urban assault, dirt jump bike.

Features I want are replaceable drop outs, 24"/26" compatibility, single speedable, lightweight, strong, 1.5" headtube, 100mm - 150mm travel compatibilty.

Those are features I would like, but my priorities in order of importance are:
1. Replaceable drop outs
2. Lightweight < 6.2lb. (2.8 kg) for the frame
3. Disc brake mounts
4. Compatible with 100 - 150mm travel fork
5. Strength/durability
6. ISCG mounts
7. 24"/26" compatible rear dropouts
8. Easily converted to single speed

the 1.5" head tube would be nice.... and I'm fine with a 10 mm axle on the back, instead of a 20mm thru-axle.

I was looking at the Duncon Cocker, which is similar to the Evil Imperial. Both have ISCG mounts and support pretty long travel. Both are aluminum alloy, Cocker made of 7005, and Imperial from 6061. Both have replaceable drop outs. However, both are on the heavy side: Cocker is 6.06lb and Imperial is 6.1lb... and reviews say they are not as flickable in the air. The Morphine has infinite adjustability including single speed but it's too heavy at 7lb.

So I'm also looking at the Specialized P3, Giant STP, Kona Cowan, Cannondale's, and Yeti's. But I don't know enough about the products from the mainstream manufacturers.

I'm not looking at getting a complete bike specifically, since I will put one together from parts I choose to achieve weight in the 30lb range.

Please provide me your opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
cocker, imperial, morphine?? Those would be good if want a really versatile bike for everything from DH to street, but since you're building it for street.dj, I'd look elswhere. 1.5 headtube is dumb for dj/street; no good dj forks have 1.5's (dont quote me, there may be one). Also why are you wanting up to a 150mm fork? I'd stick with the 100mm range for your purpose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... I think i want a Cromo (steel) frame now. Maybe a Dobermann Pinscher. They say it's affordable but i can't seem to find a quote for it. And what is the difference between a Euro BB and a BB on a XC frame?

Is it easy to single speed a steel frame with horizontal drop outs? Is it easy to repair a horizontal drop out if it's damaged? My main concern with getting replaceable drop outs is for repairs/durability. Does having a horizontal drop out imply it is a built in chain tensioner, thus no need for a ISCG mount? The DC p.ussy, NS suburban, and 243 bikes look like good steel hardtails for street.

The reason I want good travel is for stair gaps.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
You don't need ISCG mounts for singlespeeding, a chainguide on a singlespeed bike is dumb. You'll actually drop the chain more often(I speak from experience) add weight, more parts to break and one more thing to worry about servicing. I've been running a steel frame with horizontal drop-outs(perfect for setup singlespeeding I must add) for a while with no dropped chain issues.

If you can break the drop-outs on a steel frame that is well constructed such as a dobermann, you are either 500lbs or a total hack and you don't belong anywhere near a bike.

Unless I'm wrong, a euro BB is the same as any "regular" XC or whatever MTB BB.

·
h-town hucker
284 Posts
the Banshee Morphine is a freaking beast!!! my friend has one. his whole bike is like 35lbs. dj1, profile cranks, ss, holyrollers, race-face stemm, truvativ bar, avid mech brakes.

its cheaper to buy a complete bike than to build one up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.