Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I've tried this stem and that stem trying to dial in the fit. I've come to realize I need a 75 mm stem with about 15 degrees of rise.

I can't find this particular size anywhere in a 25.4 mm handlebar dia size.

Any clues for me? Any reasonable custom alternatives?

I have found this particular size in a 26 mm handlebar clamp size. Does anyone sell 26/25.4 mm shims? Has anyone shimmed this arrangement with beer can with success? I have shimmed seatposts in the past with beer can, but the handlebar/stem junction is pretty critical...not sure I trust my noggin on a beer can.

Thanks for any beta.

B

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replying to myself...

so the info ends up in the archives. Should have googled "shim" earlier.

Harris cycle has a 25.4/26 shim made by Nitto.

·
Registered
386 Posts
MDEnvEngr said:
All,
I've tried this stem and that stem trying to dial in the fit. I've come to realize I need a 75 mm stem with about 15 degrees of rise.

I can't find this particular size anywhere in a 25.4 mm handlebar dia size.

B
I think Salsa makes their moto-ace in a 80mm X 15 degree rise for the mountain size bars as well as oversize. Any shop can order it. Not exact but pretty close.

G

·
jh_on_the_cape said:
i used a shim once.
creak creak creak...
I used a Nitto shim for many years and I recommend them to my customers who want the flexibility of going between 26.0 and 25.4 drops. Zero problems.

mc

G

·
flexiflyer said:
I used a Nitto shim for many years and I recommend them to my customers who want the flexibility of going between 26.0 and 25.4 drops. Zero problems.

mc
Hey Matt...

How ya feeling after your digger yesterday? Xrays yet? That sucks, hopefully healing time will be quick.

G

·
indigosky said:
Hey Matt...
How ya feeling after your digger yesterday? Xrays yet? That sucks, hopefully healing time will be quick.
I'm still pretty f'ed up Dave, thanks for asking. Nothing broken but some pretty gnarly bruising and swelling. I can't do much of anything with my right hand...no shoe tying or pants buttoning...or riding, driving a standard, welding, drawing, running (too bruised) etc. meow meow meow.

I'll heal eventually...I'm doing a solo 24 Memorial Day weekend so hopefully I can be OK for that...

Later on,
mc

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Last years raceface deus was available in 70mmx15, and if you dont care about weight, the Easton MG60 Magnesium DH Stem was available in 75x15 (just over 200g). You should be able to find one of those easy enough. If you want something more blingy, check out Hope's new stem. It is available in 70mmx25degrees. Dont know if that would help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.