Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me if this exists.

I'm looking for a computer that has all the normal stuff (current speed, trip distance, time, etc.), and is about the size of a normal cycle computer, and is easy to read like a normal cycle computer. Sounds like I need a normal cycle computer, right?

Well, when I get home from a ride, I'd like to be able to download my ride to the computer and overlay it onto google maps or something similiar. I'd also like it to be under $100, and I'm not afraid of buying used or eBay. Am I SOL?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the forerunner. I checked out the Garmin website, and have a few questions.

Will anything that is compatable with Garmin Training Center be able to download a ride and plot it on google maps/earth (I will probably need some intermediate software)?

Does the Forerunner 205 have the same features as the Edge 205, and the Forerunner 305 have the same features as the Edge 305?

Also, has anyone used the Forerunner 205/305 for cycling? The owners manual says the antenna is below the buttons and screen. This would be fine for running, but for cycling that means the antenna would always be facing down while mounted on the handlebar. The older Forerunner 201 has the antenna to the side, which would be better, but has the older, less sensitive GPS. Any comments?

Lastly, is Garmin the only company I should be looking at for a GPS computer?

Thanks all!

·
since 4/10/2009
35,310 Posts
I don't know much about the forerunner/edge models since I have neither. I know people who do and who use both for biking. They seem pretty satisfied.

I believe Garmin's site allows you to do product comparisons to see feature differences between models. That should give you a clear picture of what's different between the forerunner 205/305 and the edge 205/305.

I think Suunto might have some wrist-mounted GPS models, but I know even less about them. There really are not many companies making small fitness GPS receivers that are designed well (for versatile athletes...not single-use specific like the Nike/Ipod thing for running).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a used Forerunner 205 should fit the bill if I can find one.
Anyone know anything about the Foretrex 201? It doesn't have the fitness stuff, but the MSRP is more than that off a similiar Forerunner. They are in different catergories, so I can't directly compare them on the Garmin site. Any GPS-savy person have any insight on this model?

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Vmax911 said:
Looks like a used Forerunner 205 should fit the bill if I can find one.
Anyone know anything about the Foretrex 201? It doesn't have the fitness stuff, but the MSRP is more than that off a similiar Forerunner. They are in different catergories, so I can't directly compare them on the Garmin site. Any GPS-savy person have any insight on this model?
I own several Foretrex 201 units (had some from a GPS tracking project for my PhD), and I am quite fond of them.

In fact, though it's an old unit, it's my "go to" GPS for most rides that aren't exploratory (i.e. when I don't need a mapping GPS). The Foretrex is a solid data collector / trip computer type of GPS.

I have a Forerunner 305 but it stays home unless I want to collect HR data.

Most annoying thing about the Forerunner / Edge units: you have to hit "start" to make it record (both stats and GPS points). With the Foretrex, if it's on, it's on. I've lost too much data to the dumb start/stop button not being pushed (or accidentally being pushed).

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have the 101, which I *think* is the same as the 201 except power source (the 201 has a built in battery, the 101 uses 2 AAA's). I like it quite a bit and usually take it over my Vista HCx if I'm just doing a ride I'm familiar with. You can customize the display field to show max speed, elevation, distance, quite a bit actually. Tracks upload nicely into topofusion, Motionbased, etc.

The downside to both of these is they use a serial interface, and at least with the foretrex 101, the serial cable must be purchased seperately. In addition, a lot of newer computers don't have serial ports, so you may need a usb-serial adapter. The cable and the adapter could easily run you another 30 bucks. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Krein said:
I own several Foretrex 201 units (had some from a GPS tracking project for my PhD), and I am quite fond of them.

In fact, though it's an old unit, it's my "go to" GPS for most rides that aren't exploratory (i.e. when I don't need a mapping GPS). The Foretrex is a solid data collector / trip computer type of GPS.

I have a Forerunner 305 but it stays home unless I want to collect HR data.

Most annoying thing about the Forerunner / Edge units: you have to hit "start" to make it record (both stats and GPS points). With the Foretrex, if it's on, it's on. I've lost too much data to the dumb start/stop button not being pushed (or accidentally being pushed).
Thanks for the reply. How do you rate the GPS coverage of the older foretrex 201 with the newer forerunner 305? I like to ride up the bosque along side the Rio Grande river, and there is a bit of tree cover. Is the 305 significantly better?

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Vmax911 said:
Thanks for the reply. How do you rate the GPS coverage of the older foretrex 201 with the newer forerunner 305? I like to ride up the bosque along side the Rio Grande river, and there is a bit of tree cover. Is the 305 significantly better?
In AZ I've noticed very little difference.

I've ridden the Rio Grande Bosque (by Socorro) with a non-sirf GPS (VistaCX, same as Foretrex) and had no problem with signal. (305 uses the sirf chip which supposedly sees through trees better)

In theory the 305 would be better, but I haven't seen significant evidence to back that up. Generally if you are going to have signal problems, you'll have issues with any unit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Krein said:
In AZ I've noticed very little difference.

I've ridden the Rio Grande Bosque (by Socorro) with a non-sirf GPS (VistaCX, same as Foretrex) and had no problem with signal. (305 uses the sirf chip which supposedly sees through trees better)

In theory the 305 would be better, but I haven't seen significant evidence to back that up. Generally if you are going to have signal problems, you'll have issues with any unit.
Thanks for the insight. I was thinking that a had to find a used forerunner 205 to meet my pricepoint, and it didn't look too promising. I will open up my quest to include the foretrex 201.

Perhaps someone knows the answer to this: What is WAAS? The fortrex 201 has it, the forerunner 201 doesn't.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Vmax911 said:
Does the Forerunner 205 have the same features as the Edge 205, and the Forerunner 305 have the same features as the Edge 305?
The Edge 305 has a barometric altimeter while the Forerunner 305 doesn't. As a result, the %grade on the Forerunner is about useless and the cumulative altitude will not be as accurate. That said, I went with the Forerunner because there's a power off problem with the Edges (I'm on my 3rd eTrex for the same problem) and they are more expensive. The units receive a lot of shock and vibration mounted on the stem or handlebar, and the internal power connections just aren't built for it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Vmax911 said:
Well, I just grabbed a forerunner 301 off eBay for a good price. Hopefully it will do what I want, now I just need to figure out a way to mount it to an oversized handlebar.
Just use a chunk of pipe insulation, same as a HRM.
I picked up a 301 from eBay as well, should be delivered any day. I hope I like it as well as my Vista. They seem to have dropped to $100 for a new one (not refurbished) after Christmas. My Vista is too odd to take running, is a pain to take on/off bikes if you only own 1 mount, plus I gain a HRM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.