Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hardrock has a stem that must weigh about a pound all by itself (about 400g or so, I think-it is a big hunk of Al). The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. I don't need a featherweight stem, but something at least under 200g would get rid of a half pount of non-centralized weight! The problem is-it seems like nobody makes a decent 10-20 degree stem in that length except for DH and FR stems -they are heavy AND expensive...(or I have also noticed 31.8, but I really don't want to do all that)

I did a little math and I figure that since I could take a slightly shorter and/or higher stem, and I can play with about 3/8 in of head tube spacers-that leaves me with a range of about 60-70 mm for length and 10-20 degrees for rise.

I am assuming that the reason I am having a hard time is that most light stem upgrades would be for racers-longer length and lower rise-but I am not a racer and this is just a trailbike that I'd like to lighten if possible for as cheap as possible.

So does anyone know if such a stem exists? A Sette Edge would be fine if only it came one size shorter! Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ritchey made a 17 degree stem - look on ebay. I have a 90mm 6 degree WCS Ritchey and it's 105 grams with steel bolts. Add a spacer and buy a Syntace or Ritchey (cheaper). Both are 6 degree.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Thomson would be my pick. They are light and just work. They also have NO welds (this is where stems break), The only down side is that they are expensive....

lots of stuff is moving to 31.8...stupid!!

anyways, these guys all make stems like you desire:

Race face
syntace
truvativ
thomson
syncros
ritchey
hope

I am sure there are more..

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That Truvativ looks nice and is available in the size range I'm looking at, but I haven't found any distributors that carry it (the XR 3D)-it's all hussefelt (sp??)

I also saw some a few stems from IRD (interlock?) and Kalloy that fit the bill-any opinions on those brands? How about "melt-forged" vs "cold-forged" vs "forged"???

I assume I don't want any welds on my stem for serious off road riding, right?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.