Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my old (2001) 4 bolt rear hub to a 6 bolt unit to lace into my (old,once again) Mavic 317 rim .
Not looking for anything extravagent ( Industry 9's) just decent and affordable .
Tis a shame as the stocker is a DT Swiss hub but I want to get up to date with 6 bolt
disc mounts .
Suggestions ?

·
Registered
465 Posts
not so sure

Dan Gerous said:
I second the DT 240s... Good and light! Chris Kings are very good too, probably the most durable hubs out there but they are expensive, DT have a much better value.
true DT 240 is a good hub but Im not so sure about the "good value" part. When I was pricing out the parts to put together a new wheel set the cost of a 240 was almost that of the King so ... ... King it was : )

and if you check out speedgoat.com (although I am definitely not recommending them for reasons i will not get into) the price of a the 240 Disc is about the same as the King ISO

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
elgordo said:
true DT 240 is a good hub but Im not so sure about the "good value" part. When I was pricing out the parts to put together a new wheel set the cost of a 240 was almost that of the King so ... ... King it was : )

and if you check out speedgoat.com (although I am definitely not recommending them for reasons i will not get into) the price of a the 240 Disc is about the same as the King ISO
Really? If so, get a King. I thought the DT was about half the price of a King! :eek:

·
Registered
465 Posts
ccaddy said:
Are SpeedGoat's prices anything special or is it just because they list so many different hubs for comparison sakes ?
i was just mentioning Speedgoat because they list so many parts for the sake of comparison. I would say Speedgoats prices are about average although I buy my parts through my LBS 99% of the time : ).

I just wanted to clarify the cost of the hubs. I also started pricing King versus 240 thinking the 240 would be considerably cheaper but not the case. The king ISO was about $330 and the 240 $300. So King all the way coupled with an 819 UST and couldnt be happier : ) The engagement of the king and the stiffness of the 819 laced 32 make for a fast, stiff, durable rear trail riding wheel.

btw here is a link to the King MSRP so you know what they should be charging you ; )
http://www.chrisking.com/MSRP/index.html

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The more I dig into this , the less sense it makes to put a new hub in my old rim .
I priced a Shimano XT, disc hub at my LBS and it was $110 Can.
They show me complete rear wheels which I can buy , starting from only $62 more :eekster:
1) Rhino Lyte rim with XT hub - $172
2) Alex FD 16 rim with XT hub - $194
3)Mavic 717 rim with XT hub - $256
4) Mavic 819 rim with XT hub -$304

Of course all of these prices are suggested retail & I know I can talk them
into better numbers .

So by the time one buys a new hub and then pays for relacing , for an extra
couple bucks you get everything new :thumbsup:

So whole wheel is the way I am leaning .

·
Registered
351 Posts
STEER CLEAR OF THE HUGI 240!

The cassette body is made of a really lightweight aluminum & will wear out prematurely from the cassete cogs digging in & nicking up galling on your splines. Then you'll have to send the entire wheel to Hugi in Coloroado to replace the cassette body which will cost you an arm & a leg if not honored under warranty. There are no user servicable parts in the 240's, the tools are specialized too! The body is supposedly held in place by friction. Wacky design & overpriced IMHO.:madman:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.