Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I can't trade in my rear, I'm going to go for a new saddle. I have an atomic, but it's got to go. I don't sit much on the trails, but the short times I do leave me cringing.
I was just wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a different seat for me. I'm not all that fashion conscious, but I don't want a granny seat, a giant banana, or something that looks like it came from a tractor.
I know there are quite a few saddles developed specifically for women, but I've never been good at making choices. Probably why I have a phobia of malls :D

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
464 Posts
Nitrox_Bunny said:
Since I can't trade in my rear, I'm going to go for a new saddle. I have an atomic, but it's got to go. I don't sit much on the trails, but the short times I do leave me cringing.
I was just wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a different seat for me. I'm not all that fashion conscious, but I don't want a granny seat, a giant banana, or something that looks like it came from a tractor.
I know there are quite a few saddles developed specifically for women, but I've never been good at making choices. Probably why I have a phobia of malls :D
Are you big sit boned or small? Seat comfort really varies a lot. Some of it is trial and error and unfortunately might mean having to buy a couple saddles that don't really work well for you.

On that note, you're fairly safe trying anything from Terry, they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and you can return (and possibly even exchange) any saddle with them. Try their Butterfly Ti (pretty much everyone thinks this one is very comfortable). Or if you have really narrow sit bones, the Damselfly. I think the Women's Firefly model falls somewhere inbetween those two. You should try to get the women specific models versus the mens because the nose of the saddle is typically longer on the mens versions.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Serfas Rx

Nitrox_Bunny said:
I use the Serfas mens Rx saddle. It's a totally split design (not just a whole in the center) that keeps all the pressure off the sensitive parts. I'm so fond of mine that I duct taped over the ripping fabric of my 3 year old saddle.

If they put as much attention into the ladies version as they do the mens, you should be satisfied.

http://www.serfas.com/rx_saddles/index_rx.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
i really like my Serfas mens DD Vado($50). it is quite narrow and feels uncomfortable for about 2 minutes, after that i forget it is there.(the womens model has the same width and length)

Serfas will let you return a saddle within a 2 week period. undamaged of course.

Rita

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nitrox_Bunny said:
I just got the Butterfly Tri (not to be confused with Ti - although it is Titanium) and I really like it a lot. I think the difference is that it has gel around the cutout. I was getting a lot of pressure in all the wrong spots and the crap one I had before wouldn't let me stay on my sit bones. After my first Butterfly ride, my sit bones were feeling it, but only because I had never really sat on them before. Now I'm accustomed to it and all my body parts are happy! :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Serfas or Selle

I have a Serfas Vado (Womens)- I like it, and I just got the Selle San Marco Arami Gelaround- I also really like it.

People keep telling me to get an even narrower seat (Terry Dragonfly) because they say it will help me get farther back of my saddle on tech downhills. I may try it out..but I do like the saddles I have now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
*porterjack's post reminded me* I had no problem getting back at all with the Butterfuly Tri. I had read some of the previous posts on saddles and noticed that some people mentioned it was harder to get back on the Butterfly because of the type of material on it. But the Butterfly Tri is smooth with only a small part of the textured stuff on the very back, so it was very easy to get back on as compared to the regular one.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Selle Italia Octavia

Every body is different. (Well, everybody is different, too!)

I've tried various cut out saddles, and a wide variety of women's specific saddles and haven't really liked any of them. But I bought a Selle Octavia saddle on a whim (OK, it was on sale). I think it is the women's model, but doesn't really look any different than the men's version, except for some stitching. I was having relatively good luck with the Selle saddle that came with my Bianchi road bike (it's made special for Bianchi, it's even Celeste green -- and I have no idea what saddle it really is), so I said to myself, "It's on sale, so why not?"

Anyway, I took the Octavia on a 76 mile mountain/road ride on its second outing. And it was comfy! Ah, nirvana at last.....

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Serfas women's DD pro

AZtortoise said:
i really like my Serfas mens DD Vado($50). it is quite narrow and feels uncomfortable for about 2 minutes, after that i forget it is there.(the womens model has the same width and length)

Serfas will let you return a saddle within a 2 week period. undamaged of course.

Rita
i have several of the older versions of this saddle which i love and one of the newer version (which is a bit wider and not as comfy for me) which i like (but don't love).

rt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Narrow comfort...

Nitrox_Bunny said:
I've had my "girlfriend" assaulted by every saddle from a Selle Italia racer, to the Fizick piece of crap on my Jekyll and everything in between from offerings by Terry, WTB and other women's specific saddles. Finally, I found one that works. The San Marco Atola Gelaround - I love it! :cool: Don't get the chafing or pressure points like I used to...good stuff.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm a Fi'zik fan myself, but i is not a saddle for newer riders, it's quite firm.

I suugest taking your bike, bike shorts, and shoes to the LBS. Set your bike up in a trainer and try every saddle that interests you. Hopefully you can figure out which shapes are best for your anatomy.

Some times it boils down to picking the least of the evil.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Maybe I am weirdly built, but I found the Terry butterfly ti REALLY uncomfortable. The cut out pinched parts that did not want pinching. I also had to retire a Titec Ithys Amore for causing saddle sores. I had a body geometry that was okay, but really heavy. I am currently using a WTB Speed V Pro Gel my boyfriend won on the WTB site, works great, don't think about it at all. It is quite heavy (though not as heavy as the BG) but I am going to get another WTB, either a lighter pro gel or the light women's saddle when I have some cash. (Did not know about Terry's guarantee...might be able to return that saddle, or if you were thinking of buying one, I could sell it to you...I used it for about a month.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.