Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Never trust a fart
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running Michelin Wild Race'r 29x2.25 on my hardtail. Now since I'm going full rigid, I'm looking for a good 2.35 or 2.4 tire for up front. I like the Wild Race'r out back. I can't go any wider than that due to rim limitations (No Tubes Crest MK2) unless I go to something much wider (like a Flow). I want something that has good traction up front, but can be used around 20 psi. Looking for suggestions and experiences

Currently on my list

Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 29x2.4
Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35 (I ran this in the past and has good success with it)
Geax Agarro 29x2.35
Specialized Ground Control 29x2.35 (I ran this one as well, paired with a Fast Trak out back, loved it)

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
My favorite Enduro front tire is easily the Tioga Edge-22.

My current favorite Downcountry front tire is the discontinued Schwalbe Snakeskin Hans Dampf2 Soft. Previous tire was the T7 Ground Control & the HD2 is MUCH better.

I'm very interested in the Vittoria Syerra 2.4 850 gram DC tire which is currently on embargo but it will be available next month.

I tried to order the WolfPack Trail 2.4, the US distributer (Presta cycles) intentionally sent me the wrong tire (they wrote on the invoice 'hey we are out of the Trails so sent you an Enduro tire instead') and won't return my emails or accept a return. Had to apply for a refund on my CC. If anyone wants an unused but mounted then unmounted WolfPack Enduro 2.4 for $50 shipped let me know.

·
Registered
Specialized Epic 2021
500 Posts
Add Wolfpack MTB cross or MTB trail to the list. It has soft rubber knobs and quite tacky rubber casing base.
They design pretty similarly, just bigger knobs on the trail version vs cross.
Personally, even Wolfpack MTB race has decent traction. But Wolfpack MTB speed is reserved for rear wheel only.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I want something that has good traction up front, but can be used around 20 psi. Looking for suggestions and experiences
What kind of trail condition... Loose, packed, wet, dry, etc.?

I've become a big fan of WTB's Vigilante for a front tire. I run them at 22 lbs for just about any trail condition. They're really confident feeling and predictable on loose fast cornering. No issues with rough rocky and rooty stuff either. They come in various casings. I use the light/high grip 60 TPI version.

·
Never trust a fart
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of trail condition... Loose, packed, wet, dry, etc.?

I've become a big fan of WTB's Vigilante for a front tire. I run them at 22 lbs for just about any trail condition. They're really confident feeling and predictable on loose fast cornering. No issues with rough rocky and rooty stuff either. They come in various casings. I use the light/high grip 60 TPI version.
I rarely ride in the wet. Actually I usually wait 2-3 days for the trails to dry. Trail conditions is packed, dry and loose over hard pack. Then during the fall I like a tire that will bite through the leaf cover on the trails.

·
Never trust a fart
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Add Wolfpack MTB cross or MTB trail to the list. It has soft rubber knobs and quite tacky rubber casing base.
They design pretty similarly, just bigger knobs on the trail version vs cross.
Personally, even Wolfpack MTB race has decent traction. But Wolfpack MTB speed is reserved for rear wheel only.
The Wolfpack MTB Cross looks promising.

·
Registered
228 Posts
For my xc/trail setup for my Jamis Dragon 650b hardtail, I recently put a 2.3 Continental Cross King Protection on the front. Was running the 2.2 versions front and rear, but wanted a little more bite up front as well as a little more compliance. The 2.3f and 2.2r has been awesome for my dry, dusty, loose over hard So. Cal. conditions. Besides being more volume, the 2.3 version has deeper knobs and better spacing. They are pretty well priced as well. Btw Continental recommends the 2.3 for inner rim widths from 23-27mm. I run 'em with Stan's Crest Mk3 wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.