Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my wife picked up an 09 Gary Fisher Advance and really really likes this bike but the front forks on this beast are heavy as all get out to put it nicely and she is struggling with some of the climbs we have in the area. So we are looking to find a lighter fork for her bike I just dont know what all is out there for a reasonable price for the new fisher design with the G2 forks. She only weighs about 115 lbs so the options shouldn't be effected by rider weight.

any info would be awesome,

Thanks

FDC

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on all you suspension nuts and not even a single recommendation or anything?

any helping hand would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she doesn't race so I would say the SID is a bit of overkill for her setup needs...she may do an xtera tri here and there but nothing real real major I just didn't know what all was out there that would fit the new fisher steerer tube unequal top and bottom that the G2 frame runs

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/19...9-Forks/Accessories/Marzocchi-44-RLO-2010.htm

I mean the damping is going to kind of suck compared to the real high end stuff but this is what I would put on that bike if it was my gf. It has rebound and lockout so she has some adjust-ability. With an air spring you don't have to worry about finding a light enough spring. Also the 2010 Marzocchi stuff was built with reliability being the primary concern. Always check oil levels on new forks.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
The real problem is the Advance uses Fisher's G2 geometry, which uses a custom fork offset. Unless you want to screw the handling on the bike, you need to upgrade to another G2 fork. I'd suggest checking on eBay as they come up fairly regularly.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
2 other places I can think of replacing to have some weight reduction benefit are wheel sets (yes tires included) and cranks (less effect). You may save 1/2 lb on a lighter fork, but rotational mass reduction usually gives you more bang for buck effect.

I'm sure you can find chap lighter tires to begin, then lighter wheels, and so on. Then you'll probably come to a point where you want a new bike/frame. Wheels and cranks you upgraded are totally interchangeable, but one-off fork that you spend $ on can't be put into non-GF bikes. I'd rather just do wheels and cranks. My 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.