Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Spot Longboard 9(complete bike) and I'd like to upgrade to a lighter higher quality set. What do you guys recommend? I'm not cheap either so l don't mind paying for quality parts.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
you said cheap... so i'll mention this... i'm planning on going with the shimano SLX here eventualy... just over $100... they sell a 2 ring version... if you replace the bash with a light weight one it comes to just a hair over the XT's weight...

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
+1 more for the Middleburn. Already stated by flafonta "Light, Looks great, Lots of gear combinations," I would add available with square taper.

You can also look for older Race Face Turbine or Next Carbon LP cranks. I picked up a square taper version of the Turbine. I wanted the Next LP but couldn't find quickly enough. Reason for this recommendation is that you can get the crank in 94 bcd, allowing a middle ring size down to 29. I'm running a 30 x 12-34 on my 1x9. The lower range was much appreciated compared to my previous 34 x 12-24.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
mtnfiend said:
+1 more for the Middleburn. Already stated by flafonta "Light, Looks great, Lots of gear combinations," I would add available with square taper.

You can also look for older Race Face Turbine or Next Carbon LP cranks. I picked up a square taper version of the Turbine. I wanted the Next LP but couldn't find quickly enough. Reason for this recommendation is that you can get the crank in 94 bcd, allowing a middle ring size down to 29. I'm running a 30 x 12-34 on my 1x9. The lower range was much appreciated compared to my previous 34 x 12-24.
Middleburn are currently developing a 27t 94 bcd (and are just about to release their 29t) ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bonesetter2004 said:
Middleburn are currently developing a 27t 94 bcd (and are just about to release their 29t) ;)
These parts are definitely sexy! Do you have a link to the new Middleburn you're talking about?

Thanks for the info guys...great stuff!

·
Registered
569 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Still not using any chain drop devise then?
Still not a single chain drop yet. Over 500 miles of riding, including an endurance race with some rocky staircases.

The only thing I have not tried is a very fast (25+ mph) long bumpy downhill. Should have some in the next few months.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
I didn't think that was possible. The smallest currently available is a 29t. Ritchey made a 28t ring for their original 2x9 drivetrain, but it needed some special small diameter chainring bolts and special washers. I don't think there is any way a 27t 94mm BCD chainring is feasable. But then again, I hope you are right!

But I think more useful would be a 29t or 27t Uno ring, maybe that is what they are working on?

Mark

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Next question, what's the best all around gear, 32T? That seems to be the most popular.
And crank length, 170mm, 175mm or 180mm? I'm 5'8", 31 inseem if this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.