Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody responded to my first post, but I think I know more of what I'm looking for this time. BasicIy want something that will handle 3 to 4 foot drops, jumps, some climbing and minor downhill. I will also be doing alot of street/urban riding. The bike at the top of my list is the Jamis XLT 1.0 closely followed by the Cannondale Jekyll 600 Disc. Any bikes I missed?

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did look at both of them. I thought the fork on the Dawg was lacking compared to the XLT 1.0, and on the Coiler I was concerned how plush the rear shock would be.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A hardtail would be more economical, but I'm not sure that I would be happy with one. I think the only reason I would consider a hardtail is if it came with substantialy better components.

·
Registered
121 Posts
you sound like me... urban riding is fun. Get a specialized P2. Its the best thing out there for the bucks. got mine for 650. i've taken it off of MANY jumps, some jumps up to 6' and have crashed a few times falling like over ten feet out of the air and the bike is fine (after i upgraded to DJIII cuz i broke my stock forks). as for Urban stuff... the bike rules. I've taken it off of staircases with a vertical drop around ten feet, rims aren't that whacked out either (i weight 185).

my bike weighs about 30 something pounds cuz i got a Bashguard and a DJIII fork seriously weighting it down, yet i can still bunnyhop cleaning up onto things 2.5 feet high, and with the bashguard about 3.5 feet.

for trail riding its not too bad if you are in shape... i can keep up with most people on XC bikes in very rough terrian (smooth stuff they will pass me by its not geared right).

the tires are massive, and have lots of grip. breaks work well if you adjust them right. The geometry and frame is what really makes this bike so great.... you can do lots with it. the one major part about the bike i hate is the forks it came with... they suck. Just ride them and then get a crash replacement for marzochiioooos (however you spell that), but if you are only doing some jumps and a smaller drops you probably won't even run into a problem (my friend has the same bike and does everythign i do and his are still working so maybe i had a bum pair). as for the kona bikes i looked at them too... they are good but i dont' think you get the same amount for your money.

oh... if you are doing urban stuff i'd stay away from a hardtail... you can't do manuels or bunnyhop real well on them ( i can't atleast), and if you want to do some trial tricks... its nearly impossible. you don't need a dual suspension bike to do drops that are less than around ten feet.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you are doing urban stuff i'd stay away from a hardtail... <-- really? I'd think it be easier on hardtail...

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
wow. just found this bike... Absolutly amazing components for the price and it comes in the color I want (not important, but definatly cool) Its also abit less than the dakar with better components in some cases... MY only concern is the warrenty. I may call up supergo to find out if the frame has some kind of warenty.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
just talked to tech support at supergo. They say the frame has a 5 year warrenty and all parts have a 1 year warrenty. I know the xp pro was on sale @ 1599... and the xp may have been on sale for 1000 at some point. If I can get the XP on sale at 1000.00 I may put a sram drivetrain on it. I think it wpould definatly be worth the money.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmmm not sure though... Though I bought my first bike witout seeing it in person.. I have some trouble putting down that much money on one I havent seen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
you either are really really brave, have alot of money, or are stupid for putting that much money down without testing the bike first. I don't know if you can atleast go to a bike shop and ride one around but you might wanna try. Personally I wouldn't pay that much and not know exactly what i'm getting. Especially if you haven't seen a real version of the bike in person. When i was shopping for a bike a few months ago i was looking at various products online. ONe of the bikes i was looking at came in only 17'' frames and 15'' frames. I figured i'd go with the 17'' and i was about to buy it but decided to first go to a bike shop. turns out the 17'' was enormous (for some reason alot bigger than a regular 17'' bike) due to a weird geometry the bike had. Also the 15 was just too small so I ended up not getting either. Point is i would have been so pissed if I got too big of a bike and i'm glad i didn't buy anything blindly.

You wouldn't buy a car without testing it unless you are a fool... same situtation with a bike but not quite as extreme. Your call though...

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well... at worst I would part the bike out and still get a good deal. In any case I think I'm going to stick with the xlt 1.0 so I can atleast test the bike out. Its a shame supergo only has stores out west.

·
Registered
213 Posts
you could find a bike with similar geometry...

and test that bike. Maybe a Santa Cruz, but I certainly don't know which bike.

Vulcan said:
Well... at worst I would part the bike out and still get a good deal. In any case I think I'm going to stick with the xlt 1.0 so I can atleast test the bike out. Its a shame supergo only has stores out west.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.