Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

I have been hitting up the trails with my 12 year old GT Palomar with no suspension and I have no problem keeping up with everyone....until both rims taco or something else brakes. I love this bike and its great....just not for what I use it for. I need something more that wont break everytime I go out and something that won't break my back either.

I want to spend <$550 used so I have been browsing CL for deals. So far I have found a 2009 Gary Fisher Tassajara with hydraulic disc brakes for $400. This seemed perfect for me but it sold before I could get there. Next best find is a 2010 Cannondale F5 for $400. It has SRAM x5 components and Avid mechanical disc brakes. Should I jump on this or keep searching? I mostly want something that's not going to break and will hold up for 5 or so years. We don't do that intense of riding so spending more than $550 isn't worth it for me.

Also, what size frame should I be looking at? The LBS said L or XL but I feel like I fit on my friends M pretty well. The Cannondale is a M and my current GT is a 16 in frame.

What are some other model bikes that generally fall in the $300-$500 used range?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Some people find that they prefer a little smaller frame than what others with the same build might prefer because the smaller frames are easier to throw around on a trail.

Bike sizes fit differently between different companies or different models by the same company. You may need a medium in brand x but a large in brand y because both bikes may have the same effective top tube length.

Nobody with a similar height is going to be able to tell you what works for them because you didn't mention your height and body proportions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking for a new bike....

Nevek, I cannot offer advice because I'm not that familiar with bikes. I'm a super wrench but on antique cars mostly. What I will tell you is that a couple of weeks ago my wife picked up a K2 EVO 4.0 for me at the Seattle bike swap for just under $600. It had so many newer upgrades that virtually the frame was all that was original, i.e. handle bars, shocks, brakes, levers, shifters, entire drive train, wheels, hubs....you get the picture. You are in for a treat when you do settle. I'm about your size and was riding an old Schwinn MOAB hardtail and now I'm at least 25% faster in the technical stuff on this "new to me" K2 with full suspension. I have three kids in college all at the same time so $600 was all my wife felt she should extend in $$ as a gift to me. SOD am I happy she did. Let us know what you pick up. BTW, you and I are the same size and my K2 is a medium frame and it fits me well. Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a blast! My roommate came and used my 12 year old GT and after seeing him struggle im glad I made the switch! She needs some adjustments, some of the gears skip and it has issues changing gears sometime but I only spent $300 and I figure I can learn to adjust these things. Shes pretty dirty so I will clean her up and snap some pics. Can I use like foaming engine bright and degreaser to clean it?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I wouldn't.

Keep it to really mild cleaning agents. I usually just wipe my drivetrain and fork stanchions with a dry rag after I ride. If it got really muddy, I might hose it down with low pressure before bringing it into the house.

The problem is that some of the seals on a bike don't deal well with high pressure or more intense cleaners. The paint's usually also not as well protected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nevek. For some reason responses meant for are going to my personal e mail. Don't know why or how that can happen but it has. If there are any on my e mail account that are not also showing up here on the foruum I will try to cut and paste them or send direct to you-so far at least 3 have shown up. Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.