Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I built up a Redline Monocog Flight 29er frame 1x9 with a Fox FIT RLC. It rides nice, but it turned out to be a heavyweight. I've got my eye on a few new frames.

I got a chance to test out a complete Yeti Big Top while I was on vacation in Phoenix (big thanks to the guys at Rage Cycles in Downtown Scottsdale - awesome shop!). I might've been tempted to buy the complete I tested, but it was a Large and I would be more comfortable on a Medium.

I'm also very interested in Niners. It seems like Niners are very popular here on MTBR. One LBS is going to start stocking Niner and they should have a few complete bikes that I can test out in March. At this point I'm considering the EMD or AIR 9, but I'm open to other options.

I'm also planning on a better crankset and wheelset as well once I select a frame. I'm hoping to get something before summer.

Thanks in advance for any input. :cool:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I assume from looking at the Air9 or EMD that you are looking for a 29er aluminum hardtail.

Take a look at the Banshee Paradox and the Canfield Yelli Screamy.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
For the cost of the Yeti frame, you could have...

An American Handbuilt Siren Trauco. And for just a little bit extra, custom tweaks and pick your color. Might have a short wait for the build, but contact Brendan and you will not be disappointed.

·
Flatlands suck
64 Posts
Out of curiosity, which LBS is going to start caring Niner?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd have to say DITTO on the below recomendation. What sort of riding do you do and are you planning on racing this bike in XC events? If you're not an XC racer boy, then I'd have to highly push the below suggestion over the stale, super steep HA design of the bikes you're looking at, they are good for racing XC, but just don't make sense for a fun, trail bike.
JoshM said:
I assume from looking at the Air9 or EMD that you are looking for a 29er aluminum hardtail.

Take a look at the Banshee Paradox and the Canfield Yelli Screamy.

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
N
Goodbarsix said:
Out of curiosity, which LBS is going to start caring Niner?
Bike Way. Bike Masters used to sell Niner, but they never kept any in stock. I'm the kind of person that has to test ride to get a feel for the geo before I buy.

I'm not dead set on aluminum.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Not sure if you were considering a build...
Soul Cycles Dillinger is $399, $450 clearcoat brushed and can be ran SS or geared via EBB. has all anodized and titanium hardware, and hardware to run both SS or geared.
http://www.ridesoul.com/dillingerg4.html

Its a small company out of Scottsdale, AZ...basically a 1 man show. He actually might carry some bike builds, worth a call.

I will have pictures posted tomorrow of my SS. I finished building it yesterday, but had final exams so all I have to do is throw some sealant in the tires and ride tomorrow...I will have pictures as well.

I really considered the Yeti, that was one of my first options, but the frame is $1,100, and then the SS dropouts are another $150+ shipping from Yeti (not included w/ the frame)...The guy at Yeti didn't even flinched at my disbelief. I was looking at it from the perspective of paying less than $1,900 for my Tallboy...and thats full carbon and full suspension.

·
Registered
327 Posts
dubdryver said:
Not sure if you were considering a build...
Soul Cycles Dillinger is $399, $450 clearcoat brushed and can be ran SS or geared via EBB. has all anodized and titanium hardware, and hardware to run both SS or geared.
http://www.ridesoul.com/dillingerg4.html

Its a small company out of Scottsdale, AZ...basically a 1 man show. He actually might carry some bike builds, worth a call.

I will have pictures posted tomorrow of my SS. I finished building it yesterday, but had final exams so all I have to do is throw some sealant in the tires and ride tomorrow...I will have pictures as well.

I really considered the Yeti, that was one of my first options, but the frame is $1,100, and then the SS dropouts are another $150+ shipping from Yeti (not included w/ the frame)...The guy at Yeti didn't even flinched at my disbelief. I was looking at it from the perspective of paying less than $1,900 for my Tallboy...and thats full carbon and full suspension.
Call your local dealer on the Yeti frame, I doubt you’ll have a problem getting the single speed dropouts thrown in, and maybe even a discount on the frame, albeit a small one. My LBS was not a dealer, and had to get set up as one, but even as a non-stocking dealer they were able to get me the frame at a reasonable price. I even called competitive cyclist and asked for a discount, and they were willing to throw a few percent plus free shipping just on the frame. Competitive stated they would work more on the price if I would consider buying fork from them. Still I understand it is not an inexpensive frame, but since salsa stopped making the Selma I can’t think of anything else that combines the features the Yeti has.

·
Registered
327 Posts
dubdryver said:
I will have pictures posted tomorrow of my SS. I finished building it yesterday, .
I am intersted to see what you have built, when you said custom parts It made my eyes perk up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts