Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2021 Specialized Chisel. Love it. It’s got a Judy Silver fork. it’s decent, but heavy. Looking for lighter and maybe more functional, trouble free and durable. I was doing research and the SID SL Select was jumpin* out at me. $600. Light and seems to check all the boxes. I was wondering how maintenance free and durable it was and are there other options to look at? The Fox 32 SC is what they compare the SID to but the SID is cheaper, lighter and reviews give it a slight edge over the Fox. I hear stories about the fox being durable and trouble free. I’m leaning towards the basic SID but just checking here before I pull the trigger on something. Maybe there are other options to look at.

· Premium Member
8,742 Posts
Just a suggestion. Before you throw $600 at a fork on a $1,600 XC cross-country bike, take a look at what your long term goals are. The most expensive bike is a inexpensive bike you upgrade piece by piece until you have an entirely new bike.

If you are looking at hardtail cross-country racer, your next steps will likely be better and lighter wheels, $600-900 depending on if you go aluminum or inexpensive carbon. You will also want a dropper post, $250-300 when you include the lever. You are now anywhere from $1,450-1,800 in upgrades to your bike, which you could probably sell for $1,200 which all together would give you $2,650-3,000 towards a better bike, that may be more suited to your needs.

If you are aren't racing and looking for a one bike do all, I would seriously consider waiting, saving and applying the funds towards a trail FS bike, something like an Ibis Ripley AF, YT Izzo 2, or Nukeproof Reactor 290 Comp Alloy. If you want to stay with a hardtail, I would look towards something more versatile, like a 120-130mm forked trail hardtail, (i.e. Santa Cruz Chameleon, Eskar Japhy, RSD Middle Child).

Finally, addressing your original question: Manitou R7.

Reactions: Rod and Suns_PSD

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a suggestion. Before you throw $600 at a fork on a $1,600 XC cross-country bike, take a look at what your long term goals are. The most expensive bike is a inexpensive bike you upgrade piece by piece until you have an entirely new bike.

If you are looking at hardtail cross-country racer, your next steps will likely be better and lighter wheels, $600-900 depending on if you go aluminum or inexpensive carbon. You will also want a dropper post, $250-300 when you include the lever. You are now anywhere from $1,450-1,800 in upgrades to your bike, which you could probably sell for $1,200 which all together would give you $2,650-3,000 towards a better bike, that may be more suited to your needs.

If you are aren't racing and looking for a one bike do all, I would seriously consider waiting, saving and applying the funds towards a trail FS bike, something like an Ibis Ripley AF, YT Izzo 2, or Nukeproof Reactor 290 Comp Alloy. If you want to stay with a hardtail, I would look towards something more versatile, like a 120-130mm forked trail hardtail, (i.e. Santa Cruz Chameleon, Eskar Japhy, RSD Middle Child).

Finally, addressing your original question: Manitou R7.
thanks…got a dropper post, and the Chisel is the bike I wanna build. it suits me and the trails I ride on. Will look into the R7.

Reactions: Cary

· Premium Member
8,742 Posts
thanks…got a dropper post, and the Chisel is the bike I wanna build. it suits me and the trails I ride on. Will look into the R7.
Sounds like you have already considered the options. One side benefit of the R7 is its axle to crown is 5mm shorter than fox at the same travel. You could easily overfork the bike to 110 or 120mm without negativity affecting the geometry. I ride my hardtails 75%+ of the time and find 120 to be a substantial improvement from 100, without getting any weight unbalanced feeling from front to rear. Just food for thought.

· Registered
141 Posts
I have that exact year chisel frameset built up with a sid ultimate sl 100mm on it. I also have a same year epic evo with a sid select + 120mm on it. 500 miles on chisel and 2000 mile on epic so far. Not a single issue on either fork. Go for either if you can. I recommend saving up for the ultimate as I hit the same trails as the epic on the chisel and it has no issues. The weight on it is great and that chisel frame build can get crazy light. This one is 20.3 lbs

Attachments

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20.3 pounds...Yikes! I was hoping to get under 25 without going too crazy! LOVE the Chisel frame...Thanks! Great info...

· Registered
Fully & eMTB fully & XC HT
77 Posts
The SID SL Ultimate 100mm is a real light option and a create fork for the price. Bought it for my hardtail to loose some extra weight. I use it with the twistlock + Essi ****** grips on my Scott Scale. Bike weights 8.8kg.

I added one token to get beter feel while doing small jumps….

· Registered
197 Posts
An R7 Pro weighs 1648g. It has seperate shim stacks for compression and lockout. You can change shim washers to tune the ride. But $900.
I fitted my M30 with R7 ABS internals and have been playing with the shim stacks... the adjustability is mind boggling. You can really tune it exactly how you want (except removing the flex, in my case).

· Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,859 Posts
hijacking the thread here a bit, but similar question. I bought 2020 scott scale 940 which also has rockshox judy silver (steel stanctions, 2453 grams!) I am considering Rockshox Reba....any thoughts?
I like my 2020 Reba RL's. Someone had upgraded their Epic and I got them for a good price.
Better than the 2011 Fox F29's that were on the Anthem :)

· Premium Member
8,742 Posts
hijacking the thread here a bit, but similar question. I bought 2020 scott scale 940 which also has rockshox judy silver (steel stanctions, 2453 grams!) I am considering Rockshox Reba....any thoughts?
The Reba is expensive for what it is, as it uses the crummy motion control damper. There is nothing that can be done to improve it. The Fox 34 performance is a far better damper. If you want to stay at 100mm I would grab one of these, which is an incredible deal and the same price as a reba:

You can easily over-fork that bike to 120mm like you want, It has a 73.6 seat angle and 69.5 head angle, over-forking will slacken those about a degree. While the seat angle sounds slack, on a hardtail XC bike, it is just fine (remember hardtails only get steeper as the suspension compresses). At 120mm I would hold out for a deal on a new or lightly used Fox 34, Pike, R7, or DVO Sapphire. I would also gladly take a 1800 gram fork with a good damper than a 1600 gram one with a mediocre one.

Reactions: richj8990

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Reba is only $100 cheaper than the lighter and better reviewed SID SL. So i would pay the $100 for the better fork. Thats why I skipped over the Reba.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.