Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just trail tested a Felt ultra light HT carbon frame 29er. Total weight is under 20 lbs.
Compared to my GT marathon 9r (30 lbs) this thing is a Fararri.
How about a super light FS 29er.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know that there are plenty of threads discussing Tallboys and Epics. However I rode a 2011 Superfly today and am looking for input on the efficiency of Superfly vs. Epic?

I thought the Epic Carbon was a little weak on components until I saw the stock crank, wheel set and breaks of the $4700 list 2011 Superfly. Yet, on the scale it weighed 25.7 lbs stock (w/o pedals).

I am looking for a light 29er for purposes of making it to the top as fast as my hardtail so any input on comparisons would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Well, the Brain on the Epic does what it claims... makes the bike a hardtail on non-rough surfaces, so it'll be most like your HT there. When active, it's a pretty good system, too, and I would bet you'll go faster uphill than your HT on it.

Maybe on any of these three; they're all great bikes!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2010 Superfly 100. I really love the bike. Handles great and is plenty effecient for me. Quick comparison. Same course: My hardtail versus my superfly was a 6 minute difference. I even gave my hardtail a slight advantage by riding it first. 13 mile trail

·
Registered
87 Posts
bcaronongan said:
i bought a 2010 small sf100. xtr pedals and ravens otherwise stock. 24.6 pounds!
how do you like your raven as a front tire. I have heard good things about them.

to the OP, I wouldn't worry too much about frame weight. Focus on keeping your rotational weight low. A lightweight wheelset is money well spent IMHO. I can really tell the difference between my training wheels and my race wheels.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
IronXterra12 said:
how do you like your raven as a front tire. I have heard good things about them.

to the OP, I wouldn't worry too much about frame weight. Focus on keeping your rotational weight low. A lightweight wheelset is money well spent IMHO. I can really tell the difference between my training wheels and my race wheels.
i race midwest, st louis area. i've had no problems with the tires. great traction here. wet or dry. i did tear a sidewall on a trail ride; but the way the rocks were sitting would have taken out a tubeless tire also. my buddy was riding behind me and saw it happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lightweight Carbon 29er

I have been looking at the Cannondale Flash 29er Carbon. It can be pretty light with the right parts spec.

skiahh said:
Yeah, I think your CF FS choices are somewhat limited.

Tallboy
Epic
Superfly

(am I missing any?)

Any of these bikes can be built up super light, in the low 20s.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
With the XTR build (Avid brakes), Stans wheels and Carbon Lefty my Tallboy is 23.4 lbs. That is with good tires and I do not baby this bike. If you worked at it I'm sure you could drop another pound easy enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CactusJackSlade said:
With the XTR build (Avid brakes), Stans wheels and Carbon Lefty my Tallboy is 23.4 lbs. That is with good tires and I do not baby this bike. If you worked at it I'm sure you could drop another pound easy enough.
That's a nice setup you have there. What do you think you's spent on that baby.
That's just what I'd love to build.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really want to hear the builds on these sub 20lb SF100, or other bikes. I read on here all the time the weight and sorry, I don't buy them. I have several weight weenie bikes and none are sub 20 except my Ti IF single speed with a lefty carbon. I have Medium SF100 with Token Carbon Seat, KCNC Seatpost, Richtey 4 Axis Stem/Bars, Stans Race Lights on DT 190 hubs, KCNC Rotors, Full XTR and I am just under 24lbs with an incredible accurate scale. I can drop another pound or so with lighter pedals, dropping to 1x and lighter stem/bars but that is about it. There is absolutely no way to possibly get it under 20lbs.

In my opinion, just compare frame weights to frame weights. You can build any of these machines with the same components but the frame weight is really where any real weight difference comes into play.

The Epic S-Works is just a tad bit lighter than the SF100 but good look getting one! I just canceled my order after placing an order in late July. The Tallboy is a great frame and I have rode one several times. But it isn't in the same class as the SF or the Epic.

·
Registered
343 Posts
TB is IMHO smoother than the Epic and cheaper...really it all depends what u want an all-out racer, then Epic...an endurance racer (ie in car language a GT= Grand Touring) then the TB it will be smoother downhill and be great when u r racing 50+ miles

·
Registered
188 Posts
Very disappointed. When I saw the Santa Cruz link I thought it was for the Tallboy LT. Not another 29er hardtail. Come on guys lets use that Santa Cruz all mountain and downhill experience to make a sick carbon FS 29er with 5" of travel. I guess I'll have to wait for the Mojo 29er. :mad:

·
or die try'n
112 Posts
Bang for buck Felt Nine Elite followed by an expensive Cannondale Flash (the Lefty Carbon is A#1). Absolutely stay away from the Superfly IMO. Specialized is like Eddie Bauer, they just have to put their name on every part in case you forget what you are riding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.