Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running Aluminum Bontrager Race Lites Big Sweep 12's on my Rigid (640 mm / 31.8). I like flat with a little sweep but would like Carbon, maybe a little wider than the current 640mm. Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
PSYCHOLUST
484 Posts
Just like Keith Bontragers famous quote:
Strong, Light, Cheap.....pick TWO

wide, flat, carbon.....pick two

Flat carbon bars seem to all be on the narrow side for SS'ing
Alot of guys I ride with have the MONKEY LITE 685mm low riser.
wide, ALMOST flat and carbon

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered the Salsa Pro Moto Carbon flat 17 degree 660mm and grabbed some Avid Speed dial levers to go w/ my BB7's. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just put a Race Face Sixc bar on my ss - not flat, but it is huge (28.5" / ~720mm, 9' sweep), and after one ride I'm sold on the width. It felt really funny on the climb up to the trailhead, but by the time I hit dirt it just felt good - I'm sold on the width.

That said, I have not yet ridden it on trails with narrow gaps between trees - I'm waiting to see if it'll be a hindrance in that setting.

RF claims it to be the widest carbon bar on the market.

http://www.raceface.com/components/handlebars/sixc/sixc-three-quarter-riser/

·
Registered
721 Posts
grundy said:
I just put a Race Face Sixc bar on my ss - not flat, but it is huge (28.5" / ~720mm, 9' sweep), and after one ride I'm sold on the width. It felt really funny on the climb up to the trailhead, but by the time I hit dirt it just felt good - I'm sold on the width.

That said, I have not yet ridden it on trails with narrow gaps between trees - I'm waiting to see if it'll be a hindrance in that setting.

RF claims it to be the widest carbon bar on the market.

http://www.raceface.com/components/handlebars/sixc/sixc-three-quarter-riser/
If if you rather have flat, and closer in length, Edge Composites has a remedy; their MTB flat bar is 9d, 700mm long.

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Steel29er said:
Yes, been using the ESI racers Edge, already got a nice new Red pair. :thumbsup:
Well then, this is what they will look like...

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Great grips! I gotta set in Green!

Ran an Easton Flat bar for years (6-7 years) with no problems just recently picked up a low rise Race Face Carbon bar that was considerably wider. Cut about 3/4" off each end and still run bar ends on top of that. They are still wider than my Eastons! But more comfortable as far as the height now. Getting older and I am finding that I can't stretch out as much any more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts