Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running IRC Serac XCs on my Gary Fisher for XC riding. I am going to be racing in the fall and am looking for a tire to put on a pair of crossmax XLs, for a racing wheelset. What is a light (400-500g), 1.9-2.1in, tire that performs better than the Seracs? I live in Vermont, so I do little or no riding on sand or ridiculously soft trails.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Your always gonna give up "something" when your losing tire weight. The Seracs are HEAVY for what you get back(benefit) tho, at a true 600gms+ for the 2.1 Seracs. I've got those and the 1.95 UST version. They do good in the mud tho for an otherwise general-ish xc tire. My race tire of choice for dryish to tacky conditions("some" mud is ok)are the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1s at 450-470gms. Many like the Nokian NBX lite 2.0 as well. It has more aggressive knobs, altho its one of the smallest 2" tires out there concerning the casing size.
Also look at the Schwalbe Jimmy Lights, if you want a more traditional knobby but still light. 2.1 runs a true(check weightweenies)460-495gm range. Full knobby like the Seracs but much lighter, roll at least as fast, wear about the same if not a tad quicker. Corner better IMHO. I have a set I keep around for mud races. That is if I can keep from using them for daily ride. good tires for the weight and design. I tend to run one in the rear, with a Conti Explorer Pro up front for general xc riding. Both ends for a mud race.

The Jimmy Light 2.1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1.9 or 2.1 schwalbes

which is better suited for Vermont/Maine/NH racing? the Skinny Jimmy 1.9in or the Jimmy Light 2.1 in. They are both equally knobby, the skinny jimmys weigh 120g less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.