Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....I am looking at buying a bike soon. I am a college student, so pretty much all of the money I am earning now is going towards tuition. If everything works out- I could have an extra 800-1000 bucks by the end of the summer. I am currently riding a bike my brother gave me- A cannondale 300me that has no suspension and is probably 7 or 8 years old- he never rode it though- so it's brand new. I realize that I can't get a good full suspension bike for 800-1000 dollars- so I figured I would get a really nice hardtail. I've visited some shops in the area and found a couple of bikes that look good. I found a specialized stumpjumper with a fox fork for 1000 dollars- it doesn't have disk brakes though...what do you guys recommend? I want to go through a local shop. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Specilized Rock Hopper Comp. Disc or try to find a 05 Giant Rainier. The Rainier is a great bike with x-7 rear derailler and controls and Hydrollic Hayes Soles. Extremely light and durable. It come stock with a Marzocchi EXR Pro which would be better if it had adjustments. But it is light and i bought mine for 750 in 05 so if you could find one new it would be a steal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on using it for general trail riding. I'm new to the sport. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy with it- no drop offs just yet- but maybe in the future. I got into bikes after spending 2 years in Japan and riding a bike everywhere I went- I loved it!

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
I helped a friend buy a giant hard tail last summer - it had great spec with disc brakes and a very nice fork - it was around 850$
look to giant and a closeout on this years bike in a few months if you can wait for a real bargain. they make very nice midrange stuff. read up in some bike mags and here on this site and try to get a feel for what you want to do with the bike. then go to a few different LBS and go with the one that has the best customer service and really helps FIT you to a bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.