Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend a good MTB DVD? Something recent, more free-riding oriented (jumps, drops, etc) is really what I'm after, though if it has some racing that's fine too. Sorry, bit of a newbie here so I don't know what the quality videos are yet. Just looking for something to get me fired up in the mornings to go ride (like that doesn't happen anyway!), maybe give me some ideas for new tricks etc....

Thanks everyone!

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
The Collective

Tarekith said:
Anyone recommend a good MTB DVD? Something recent, more free-riding oriented (jumps, drops, etc)

The Collective
(awesome Video) well done piece of art Great Video very artistic compared to the hard metal video urban and freeride. this is got some urban, freeride. downhill, Redbull Rampage, Whistler, Hawaii, Very Cool and the Music is good too.

can't wait till Collective II comes out!

Disorderly Conduct
- (Not bad) got some good riding in it but it's more music video than anything... still it's got some good stuff.

those are my latest picks.

The Collective will inspire you to try new stuff for sure.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, any idea on the best place to buy these? Will amazon etc have them, or do I need to go through a bike shop?

Nevermind, I found it :)

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
I'll third the Collective recommendation! This is a great one!

I also own all 3 of the DOWN DVDs. I think they're really good also...
  • Down
  • Double Down
  • Third Down
I believe Double Down is the best of the 3. The music on DD is fantastic!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Collective

I'll fourth the Collective recomendation, it's a must and very well made. My only gripe is it's kind of short.

Any of the Kranked or New World Disorder series are good. The later in the series the better. You can't go wrong with any of those. Chain Smoke is pretty good too.

I have the latest Red Bull and I think it's a little boring. Not a bad video, just not my taste.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, Collective is ordered and on it's way, just checking out the downloadable version now and can tell already this is what I was looking for,. Huge thanks to all!

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Yeah what he said~!

bob said:
My only gripe is it's kind of short.
I agree, The Collective is Too Short, but they have definately raised the bar for all MTB videos... there is more than than just speedmetal riffs and rappin' jams with quick edit shots...the Collective was a great combo of well thought out/planned perspective shots.
and the music isn't crammed down your throat as an after thought!
the zipline shots looking down on the riders on bridges at the end is so well done.

yeah hopefully in the next couple of installments they'll make'em longer!

·
Registered
743 Posts
The collective is definitly my favorite as well. The new world disorder series is good. I just ordered the Kranked series so I'll let you know how that is when i get them

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That Collective video blew my mind, so glad you all recommended it. As someone who's been into one exteme sport or another my whole life, I've seen more than my fair share of action videos. It's really nice when someone does it proper and makes it something you want to watch over and over again FOR MORE THAN JUST THE SPORT DEPICTED, versus that punk/rap cut and paste video mentality.

"Riding Giants" is a similar movie in the surf world, highly recommended...

·
Registered
71 Posts
And while you're talking about surf movies...

Tarekith said:
That Collective video blew my mind, so glad you all recommended it. As someone who's been into one exteme sport or another my whole life, I've seen more than my fair share of action videos. It's really nice when someone does it proper and makes it something you want to watch over and over again FOR MORE THAN JUST THE SPORT DEPICTED, versus that punk/rap cut and paste video mentality.

I'd have to add "Step into Liquid" to the list.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Tarekith said:
Definately! That's one of my favorite movies and I don't even surf. I rented it right after getting back from a vacation in the Cooke Islands and watched the Hawaii segment about 8 times because it reminded me so much of my vacation being that so much footage was taken before the urbanization of the island got real heavy (not that I've ever been to Hawaii but I've seen some pictures). I never knew surfing had such a great recent history - I mean those first few guys that moved to Hawaii to be surf bums pre-dated the hippie movement as far as the "tune-in, drop-out" lifestyle. Living off of speared-fish, pineapples, and coconuts... man oh man, I could get into that.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
I have all the NWD's and Kranked

NWD IV and Kranked V are easily my two fav's. I judge them by ride factor, meaning after I watch the vid, how bad am I jonesing to go shred...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Step Into Liquid

Step Into Liquid is one of the best surf documentries I've ever seen. Even if you don't surf, you'll want to after seeing it. It's not the typical surf film. Since we're talking surf films I'd also recomend Blue Horizon and Thicker Than Water. I love the soundtrack from Thicker Than Water. Jack Johnson and his friends did a nice job. I haven't seen Riding Giants yet. I figured it would be nothing but Laird at Jaws over and over. Maybe I'll order it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
part of it is

bob said:
I figured it would be nothing but Laird at Jaws over and over. Maybe I'll order it.
The movie basically has 3 segments. The first has a bit of the sport's history including lots of footage of the 60s in Hawaii (the best part IMO). Then it has a segment on Maverick's and then Laird.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.