Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen any great deals? I'm pretty novice and open to just about anything. I do mostly trail riding (there are a few steep hills) with the infrequent trip to go camping. I'm not dead set on anything really. I don't have the experience to make set decisions. I've "test drove" several bikes... the biggest problem is I'm a pretty big guy (6'4" 235lbs) so I not only need a big frame, but a suspension that can handle it. Most of the bikes from the local bike shops feel like they're struggling. Ideally, I wish I could find something in the $300 to $600 price range, but I could afford much more if I wasn't satisfied with what I got there.

First of all, am I going to find much worthwhile in that price range? What would be the best place for me to look? Online? Local bike shop? Craigslist/eBay? I'm looking for a good value and a good deal on something respectable.

Appreciate any insights!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would check out craigslist, I think you can find decent deals on there. I must say that alot of people don't know how to post an ad on there though. You may have to email and inquire about more information on a bike.

Some LBS are starting to have some sales, and there are some good deals out there.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anom said:
I would check out craigslist, I think you can find decent deals on there. I must say that alot of people don't know how to post an ad on there though. You may have to email and inquire about more information on a bike.

Some LBS are starting to have some sales, and there are some good deals out there.

Best of luck.
I hear you about the craigslist people! I took a quick look and everyone that looked mildly interesting I had to e-mail them... what size bike is this? I only saw maybe 1 bike listed that had any real information!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at that Ibex you linked me and reading a few reviews, it does appear to be a decent choice! It looks like others have purchased at a better price than what its listed at now... maybe I just need to wait for a decent sale from them?

Also, where can I find a copy of that piece from Mountain Bike Action? That sounds of interest. Is there an online version? :)

Thanks guys, so far you've been very helpful! I can't wait until I find the one for me.

·
Dirty High Desert Guy
58 Posts
Da3vid said:
Also, where can I find a copy of that piece from Mountain Bike Action? That sounds of interest. Is there an online version? :)

QUOTE]

It doesn't look like there is an online version yet. Here is there web page, the latest issue with the test appears in the upper left corner:

http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/Default.asp

I think the shelf price is $5, but you should be able to peruse it at your local bookseller to see if it's what you want.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Da3vid said:
I hear you about the craigslist people! I took a quick look and everyone that looked mildly interesting I had to e-mail them... what size bike is this? I only saw maybe 1 bike listed that had any real information!
The ads in my area are so simple its stupid.
"FOR SALE MAN BIKE"
"FOR SALE GIANT BIKE"

I just about roll over when there are pictures and detailed info...

Just yesterday I call on a Gary Fisher bike w/ FS.... The guy couldn't even tell me what model the bike was... but it cost $1k new... and he would sell for $500...

Sometimes I wonder if they are selling stolen bikes...
:madmax:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Craigslist is loaded with stolen bikes, hence the cluelessness of make, model, and specs.

I read that article in MBA as well, and ended up with a Giant Yukon FX!!! My prices range was similar to yours and the Giant seemed perfect for me.

·
What could go wrong ...
1,996 Posts
I agree that CL is full of stolen bikes ... ive actually seen used Huffy bikes that you can buy new for $79 at walmart on CL listed for the "sale" price of $200 ... they usually have no idea what they are selling and its also the first place we look when someones bike gets stolen

·
Registered
112 Posts
the Ibex bikes are pretty good the only catch is you have to do a tiny bit of assembly when they arive in the mail... the 300 to 600 dollar range is gonna be a toughy for you i think... the kona Hoss is a good one for us bigger guys i would not buy them new because of the price but if you could find a used one or alot of lbs sell there demo and test ride bikes for some really kickin deals

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.