Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a torque wrench, and I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know where the best place to get a decent torque wrench is. Does anyone have a good recommendation for one that doesn't break the bank?

·
lamer
299 Posts
I picked up a Craftsman micro clicker torque wrench on sale for $30something a little while ago. It might be on sale again right now. Has inch-lbs and Newton-meters, which is what you'll need for most bike stuff, though you won't be able to use it for heavy duty stuff. For example, I think I remember having to pull out my large Pittsburgh ft-lbs torque wrench to do my FSA crank bolt. Can't attest to the Craftsman's accuracy, but I haven't snapped any bolts or had anything fall off yet.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up a Craftsman micro clicker torque wrench on sale for $30something a little while ago. It might be on sale again right now. Has inch-lbs and Newton-meters. Can't attest to its accuracy, but I haven't snapped any bolts or had anything fall off yet.
Where'd you get it, and what's the minimum nm setting?

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
Harbor Freight. 10 bucks when there's a coupon. It's 1/4" drive for the one that has range for bikes so you'll need to buy an adapter or shell out a lot for bits.

·
Class Clown
3,053 Posts
Harbor Freight. 10 bucks when there's a coupon. It's 1/4" drive for the one that has range for bikes so you'll need to buy an adapter or shell out a lot for bits.
Been using that for awhile now although most bolts I do by feel, works good. Also have a husky I think 3/8 works fine for cassette. You can get the little adapter pieces to go from 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2, etc. for peanuts.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Got the Craftsman as well from Sears. Perfect for bike components. Got it on sale for $50 or so...regularly $70 or something.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
the craftsman is $39 at sears or craftsman website as well, think I will just pick one as well.

did anyone also get a good "bike" set to go with it?

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
For how infrequently I use one, I went with one of the $20 jobs from Harbor Freight. They have 1/4" drive as well as 3/8" drive.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just tried the craftsman micro torque it just snapped the bolt on my East on stem . Stem says 45 in pounds so I started at 25 in lbs and it never clicked it any thing snapped it of. So I try it on a lug nut on boat trailer and it still didn't click so now I have to buy a new stem on a month old bike. I tried a harbor freight and it was junk as well so I am not sure it is possible to get a good torque wrench at this point.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
you may not get an audible click on such low torque...you may just have to feel the internal click of the wrench...once you get the bolt somewhat tight, start tightening at 1/8 turns and then release, you should feel it then

·
Registered
354 Posts
You wouldn't be able to set the torque wrench properly as soon as you got past lightly threading the bolt in you would have been at that torque spec immedietly and it would be easy to go by it because at that setting the internal spring doesn't have enough pressure to make a noticeable click noise. It would be an extremely faint noise if heard at all.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You wouldn't be able to set the torque wrench properly as soon as you got past lightly threading the bolt in you would have been at that torque spec immedietly and it would be easy to go by it because at that setting the internal spring doesn't have enough pressure to make a noticeable click noise. It would be an extremely faint noise if heard at all.
I could not feel any let off at all i tried it on other items besides my bike and never heard a click or felt a let off. I also have a 1/2 in Craftsman torque wrench i use on bigger equipment and it clicks and also you can feel it let off. I never felt a difference in feel or a click even tried it on several odd parts around . Am i doing something wrong. I have lots of experience with my bigger torque wrench. Or is it defective? This is a 3/8 but starts out at 25 in lbs

·
Registered
354 Posts
Could be defective. Have you Tryed torque ing something at a higher torque spec. Let's say 35lbs. Put a socket on your torque wrench set it to 40lbs and go put it on your lug nut on your car and see if it clicks. Average car wheels are torqued to 80-100ftlbs

·
Registered
354 Posts
But if you put it on your lug but and it clicks decrease the value on the wrench and try again. I suspect that it is such a low torque spec you won't get a good feel from the torque wrench because of the little force it takes to hit that spec.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts