Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new set of tires. As of right now I am undecided as to which tire I want to get. I am kind of split between Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB Motoraptor, and WTB Velociraptor, but I am open to others. I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive tire, but one that will give me good grip. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

P.S. I ride mostly hardpack singletrack, with many roots, and occasional mud.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Kenda blue groove sticke , rolls a bit slow but plenty of grip also Kenda small block 8's roll fast and are suprisingly good in most conditions, mud tends to clog them but you say only occasional mud. Nevegals are nice too, I'm just trying out some Maxxis minions they seem to be great super tacky compound so won't last very long but got a good deal on a pair.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Another vote for the good ol' Nevegal.

The best combo would be StickE on the front for grip, and the DTC on the back for longer wear/skid life.

The StickE (tacky compound) gives more grip, but wears out faster... As front tires dont skid around they get a bit less wear than the rear, so you can run it on the front without too much worry.
The DTC (dual compound) is harder in the center, but with the tacky compound on the sideknobs - this allows you to have a harder wearing tyre (which will survive skids/slides better) but without sacrificing too much cornering grip.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
I'm a huge wtb motoraptor fan. Four people in my family have switched to them and also love them compared to whatever else they rode before.

It rolles good and wear's even better and the traction is excellent. I have to be pushing hard for the frontend to want to push or tuck, and the rear just plain hooks-up.

Take my recommendation with a grain of salt, since I have not ridden most of the other tires recommended. I have rode the fire xc and velociraptor, and prefer the moto.

Bunk

·
I'm living the dream!
395 Posts
Nevegals are good. I ran them for about a year front and back with UST 2.1 (which were about the equivelent width of a Maxxis 2.35). I now have Maxxis High Rollers 2.35 LUST and I like them much better. To me, the rolling resistence is about the same but the Maxxis' are much better through the turns. I noticed a difference immediately riding my favorite trail. There's a section of esses that the Nevi's used to push through and the HRs now rail though.

**EDIT: Added sizes**

·
achiever
1,080 Posts
Stay away from nevegals if you ride anywhere rough. The sidewalls seem to be made from tissue paper. I blew through one on my front wheel.

The Motoraptors are really sweet but when things get wet and slick I prefer a WTB Stout.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had Nevegals and recently switched to Maxxis Advantage. I didnt think my Nevs were slow or bad at all but these Advantage roll much faster and the cornering bit is exceptional. Much more traction than the Nevs. These tires do weigh more and I havent had much time on them but I hope they hold up because they are sooo good!
Good luck,
Mctige:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have never tried the Nevegal, but did go through a set of Small blocks. I ran the 2.35 up front and 2.1 in back. Superb XC tire! Slightly lacking in braking traction, but great cornering, and fast as hell!

I've also owned 2.4 Motoraptors, which were the best dry, rocky and sandy tire I've ever used. Tread design is blocky and open though, so they roll a little slow.

I know many people swear by the Fire XC's, but I've had them too, and did not find them to be a good hardpack tire. Slow, with a square profile didn't work for me. I tried Hutchinson Pythons next, and found them to be far better than the Panaracers.

My friend had Velociraptors on his Fisher, and those tires were downright scary, he said. The back tire is a decent design, but the front uses a staggered offset center tread, which causes the tire to feel shifty in some situations.

I am currently running a set of WTB Prowlers on my bike. 2.3 XT in back, and 2.5 MX up front. These tires have been amazing in every type of terrain I've ridden so far ( mostly dry and rocky ) and are supposed to be awesome on a good tacky deep woods type singletrack. These tires are heavy for general XC use, although because of their excellent tread design they belie their weight, and roll quite fast! The MX does come in a lighter 2.1 size.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
761 Posts
I loved the fire xc pros but find them a little narrow now, currently on wtb 2.4 mutano raptors and am really liking them. they are fairly light, roll fast and the knobs don't roll over on me.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
My next set will be a Schwalbe set, but I swear by the Specialized tires. I got a set on my new Rockhopper by default and I couldn't be happier. I got a fast rolling, sticky Specialized Fasttrack LK (for Low knob), there is also the regular Fasttrak and the SLK (Super low knob) if you want a real fast rolling tire. They are supposed to be ridden at min 35psi, max 100psi and on road I do the full 100psi off road I do around 25psi and they are amazing, never have them come off the rim, lots and lots of grip even on wet rocks and roots. Of course I'd be curious to try the S-works version of this tire (which is dual compound) but $50-60 a rubber is kinda steep for me. Plus these only will last you around 600 miles or so. (i do 50/50 on/off road)

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Schalbe Big Betty 2.4 GGC on Stans Flow mounted tubeless front
Maxxis High Roller 2.35 LUST on Mavic 819 in back

I had a Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E up front, but the casing was so thin I kept puncturing it (was setup tubeless with Stans Flow). The Minion DHF is also a great front tire.

I'm looking at changing out the rear to a Nobby Nick 2.3 or a Fat Albert for the better rolling resistance over the HighRoller.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.