Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good AM bike. I live in south Florida were the highest point is a mound of trash, but plan on heading to different bike parks around the US as much as possible and I know that my Trek Fuel EX 7 will not cut it. I want something that can handle the long climbs and the DH section without to much weight. My budget is about 2000. Any info would help.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
I'm a total believer in the Bionicon bikes. They aren't yet well known in North America. But that's starting to change. I ride the Golden Willow. It's their smallest bike. If you aren't going to be doing huge climbs and want more DH ability, you might take a look at the Edison or the Supershuttle. The Edison geometry isn't really my cup of tea. But I've done a decent-sized ride on the Supershuttle and it climbs great and it's awesome on the downhills. Check the Bionicon user reviews in the Mtbr reviews section. And I have a full write-up on the Golden Willow here.

·
Registered
785 Posts
where do you ride in So Fla now? I ride markham on a weekly basis, and hit oleta prob once every two weeks....when i moved down i had a motobecane fantom comp ds, and once i realized the caliber of trails that really are down here, i bought a Santa Cruz heckler....there's quite a few dealers around here that are SC DEALERS, but the only shop i know of that keeps them IN STOCK is this shop in hollywood....Big Wheel is the name of the shop....so if you live close, go in, and ask them to take one for a spin.... 954 966 5545 that's their number off the SC website....but anyway, i ride an 05 heckler, 5.7" rear travel, 140mm up front (DHX 5.0 and a 32 Vanilla RLC up front), and there's nothing that this bike wont handle....i'm 206lbs, and i've really beat the hell out of it at markham...banged it on rocks, crashed it hard, you name it....the heckler is built to take a beating, and it climbs like you wouldn't believe....also, single pivot = two bearings = easy as hell to change = low maintenance = awesome! trust me man you wont go wrong....oh also, the hecklers start for a complete bike at $2099....if you get it with a float r shock, and a float or vanilla rlc, you're looking at like $25-2600....the reign 1 is 2499 for about the same setup....the hecklers are awesome bikes....if you wanna ride mine sometime at markham let me know and we'll meet up...send me a pm if you want....later.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
i know for the budget you will not be able to get a brand new Nicolai FR, but if you can source a second hand model it will worth it ...

this link is for the 2008 model ... (frame alone weighs 4.4kg thereabouts) maximum fork travel 180mm

http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-helius-fr.html

2007 and earlier model (frame alone weighs approx 3.9kg) ... rear travel adjustable between 115-163mm and you can use a coil shock ... max fork travel 170mm

Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Vehicle Bicycle part Triangle

just give 'err' a pm or contact black sheep cycles ... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
315 Posts
whoa whoa whoa, if you want a solid AM bike go with a Heckler. it can do just about anything, just make sure you get one with a dhx 5 coil or cane creek DB. my current build is about 31 lbs with the coil shock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.